the NEW Folgers lens cap (49/58mm)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Wayne, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've been looking for a cheap around-the-house solution to losing my 49mm Minolta lens cap, and found out that if I cut the top off of the flip-up lid of the new (hideous) style of Folger's Instant 3 oz Coffee, it fits well enough. Probably a little piece of tape or felt would make it more snug, but it does work as is. Then I discovered that because it has 2 different-sized lips on the under side it ALSO fits my 58mm Canon lens, and it fits that one superbly and snugly, snapping into place. After googling I learned that other Folgers lids have been used for lens caps for many years (didn't know that). But this is a fairly new style of lid, shown below. If you don't like red, get the green decaf versions.

0002550020083_300X300.jpg

If you hate instant coffee, you can send the contents to me because I actually drink the stuff.

The larger 16oz size will probably fit a couple of larger lenses. That one is just a hair too small for my Apo-Nikkor 480mm

2. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And you can use the contents for making Caffenol! Certainly beats trying to drink the stuff.

-NT

3. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    agree

I agree about Instant Coffee --- aaargh. And I applaud somebody trying to save a couple of bucks. Never knew when that next olde camera, that you want but have no earthy need for, will surface.

4. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To complete the upcycling, why not then just paint the whole bottle black, cut up some 35mm strips and make it into a miniature pinhole camera?
    Then nothing gets wasted.

5. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you cut it from the top and paint the bottle black, you can put it on your lens and it will look like a big lens.
    My Brother recently gave me a Rollei 35 for my birthday and it had a milk jug cap for a lens cap.