The next generation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Toffle, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just thought I'd tell you about my experiences over the last couple of weeks. My daughter is in her third year of a Communications degree and is taking the introductory photography course. She's nicely outfitted with a Nikon N80 (which she picked up brand new at a bargain basement price) and a Blackbird, Fly camera. (which I didn't :rolleyes:smile:

Anyway, the long and the short of it is she's been coming home on the weekends (which is nice enough as it is) and working beside me in my darkroom. Though she insists on calling my developer "Art Stew", she is really getting some good results. She has a good eye for design and is not going to let a few failures deter her from experimenting with the craft in ways I might never consider.

Not to leave my son out of this bragging session either... he's a film writer/cinematographer who has no intention of abandoning film for a Red Cam anytime soon. (and he finally got his Masters, so now he can get a job. :D)

I have to say that daddy is a very proud fellow.

Cheers,

2. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...That's awesome news. I went to high school in Ontario and University as well. In my final year of high school, they switched almost entirely to digital and in University, the darkroom was shut down in the architecture building. It seemed like film was being phased out of everything and strongly discouraged. It's good to see students keeping with film. I like the prospect of hope for the future with film.

Thanks for sharing your story.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even though digital has taken over, there are a good number of people still using film.

Jeff

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My local community college is just finishing up a major expansion and renovation of its art facilities. The old wet darkroom has been replaced -- by a larger wet darkroom. They fill a fair number of traditional photo classes every semester. I'm told this CC is the only one in Pennsylvania that offers an Associate in Fine Arts -- perhaps that biases the emphasis a bit.

DaveT

5. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I opened this and I thought it was going to be about the nexgen of capture. Figured what the heck. Then after reading it and saw it was Tom, shoulda known better.

Tom that is so cool. I hope one day to be able to have similar stories to share.

6. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Film really is of great interest to the current generation of college students. I am not the only person shooting film (alongside digital) when I photograph concerts. When I got my photo degree in the late 1990s, I had to arrange an independent study in large format; now, at the same college (Appalachian State), it is a regular class with more than a dozen students each semester.

7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I guess our continuing education system isn't all that bad. ;p

8. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Lucky her.
    My dad no longer takes photos, I am now the photog of the family; He doesn't care about film anyways. Thanks to him I know how wonderful is film. He thinks that soon or late I will go digital, but come on; Got to take 6x6cm and 4x5" slides first.:rolleyes:
    And my uncle has been sucked by digital. Though he pays the development of the few rolls I shoot. I don't have time for drop the rolls at a lab, so he does.

I should find some serious film mates around here (physical life), all I know that most of them are rare, the father of a friend is still shooting his snaps in analog, with the "classic" kodak gold!
    The Spanish forums I know are dedicated to the other media; No one remembers film, the one that does says that it will disappear in few time and with luck I found a guy that shoots MF with a hassie.
    I stay here, it's like a home. I like to stay in the forum, this late, friday night. I have a feeling of staying in front of a fireplace, with it's lighting and nothing more. Strange, but I do feel this; and like it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  9. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your comments remind me of how lucky we are to have this community online when our towns and cities seem to be forgetting the joys of film photography. I may go for weeks without meeting another traditional photographer, but one click of the mouse brings me challenge and inspiration and community enough to sustain me.

Keep shooting film, and be proud of your work. Enjoy it as a hobby, an art, a passion.

Cheers,

10. shakyhandsJames

shakyhandsJames Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My university has gone almost entirely to digital. In my intro class I am the only one with a film camera :sad:

11. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the University of Windsor, (Canada) students are required to use a 35mm SLR in the introductory class, and have to buy tons of consumables. (which is a good thing... the more people buying paper and film in a university town, the more the stores will stock for me. :smile: )

Welcome to APUG, by the way. You're among friends here.

Cheers,

12. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Yes, APUG gives energy to us to continue and not worry about film. Other communities have forumers that are just all the day "that's obsolete" "I think that film will last 2 years more and then bye..". It's comfortable to stay here and don't have a zillion posts saying that.

Bah who cares about the others. Be proud and ignore the digital "fanatics", if you don't; you'll be greatly annoyed.
    Just respect them, and they should respect you. If they don't respect you and annoy you all the time telling you "go digital"; Keep shooting happily and don't lose your illusion on film. Remember they can't have HP5 grain, or Velvia yellow. :wink: You've got it, and they don't.

13. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am only a teen. I love film to death and I do not own a digital camera and I am proud of it! I do not have a darkroom yet. I would love to have one. I think that my generation will never be intrested in picking up film. Somehow we should change that and try to get some younger folks into film. I remember when I was little I had a Fisher Price 110 camera. Now they are all digial. (that makes me laugh everytime I see one in the store). But my point is that we need to introduce more people that are out there back to analog mediums.

14. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I do agree about most of what do you say. I do have a little boring compact that if it broke, I wouldn't even care. It's OK for take some shots I would need the next day. But for everything else, there's the 35mm.

The few of us that will shoot film, will keep it going.
    Some (as I did) may get into this world because of curiosity. In october I had a radical change. I changed the music I listen, and the media. Now I do love anything analogic.
    Like vynil records, they're special compared to the stuff of today.
    We're used to listen music from a MP3 and the computer. And It's very interesting to listen and see vinyls, because few of us seen and heard them, it's a different thing that we aren't used to see.
    As the vinyl records have followers that keep them going, film is and will be the same history.