the next Mike Walker Pinhole?

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by Leon, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all - sorry, its been a long long time since i posted here ... But i have some news that might be of interest ...

I was chatting with Mike Walker the other day, and the topic of the next possible member of the Harman TiTAN pinhole camera family was raised (by me). Mike said he'd been thinking about a 120 panoramic version - 6x12 or similar. He reckoned he could produce the camera with its own integral and removable roll film holder, and darkslide so a range of focal length cones can be changed mid-roll. Also, it could have some ability for adapting it to 5x4 too.

Sounds exciting, but I'm not sure about the 6x12 ratio? And, zero image seems to have the market cornered?

What do you reckon? Would you buy one? What features would lift it above what is already available?

2. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting ideas Leon. Not sure about the 6x12, 6x17 would be a lot more desirable as it really is a wide format. 6x12 is just not wide enough to be really different.
    Depending on the price as always, i would be interested if wider than 6x12

That said, I enjoyed your videos of the 4x5 and 8x10 introductions and bought the 4x5 after viewing your video.

3. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back, stranger. I think the 6 x 12 would be nice, but I agree that something even wider may appeal more.

4. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like he had a zone plate system in mind for changing focal lengths. There is quite considerable illumination fall-off with ZeroImage 6x12 pinhole cameras, and the zone plate versions are just awful; in my opinion pano is asking too much of the simple mechanism that is a pinhole. Exposure too is quite a task over the predictable results that are the norm with the various smaller-format (up to 5x4) ZeroImage cameras. But a pinhole camera with an interchangeable rollfilm back would be a sight to see; I would be interested in what eventuates with that.

5. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi - Mike uses a system of different length cones in which the pinhole sits to adjust focal length.

6. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought the 4x5 pinhole market was already covered before the harman pinhole came out but Those things seem to be all the rage. Marketing....
    Won't a 6x12 back fit on the harman 4x5?
    No need to adapt anything and the camera already exists.

7. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A 6x12 or 6x17 (better!) camera with *curved film plane* AND darkslide would be great...

Regards,
    Loris.

P.S. In case of 6x17, as starters, it would be nice to have a cone w/ a focal length of ~105mm (and maybe a ~85mm cone later...)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
  8. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    all good points everyone. I think 6 x 17 would definitely make it more interesting to me.

@Wildbill - I'm not sure if it would fit in its *vanilla* state, but I am sure it would be possible with a quick hack. good point!

9. Gregg Obst

Gregg Obst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If he made a 6x17 I would be VERY interested in buying one.

10. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Gregg Obst

Gregg Obst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As much as I have lusted after one of those since they were announced, I'm looking for something a little more in a < $200 (US) price range. Maybe something 3D printed might be viable at a lower price point. Not really sure what the possibilities are for getting one in that price range.

12. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could look at the Holga 6x17 with the lens on it, then remove the lens but keep the shutter. Still have the vignetting issue to get around with the flat film plane.

13. Gregg Obst

Gregg Obst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've already got a Holgagon build based on the Holga 120 Pan planned for later in the year but that's only 6x12, not 6x17.

14. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes it is only 612, what was I thinking?

15. PhotoBob

PhotoBob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds good to me, but multi-medium-format is important to me, i.e., flexibility, and as always ... cost.
    I really like the Titan 4x5 by the way.

16. razocaine_07

razocaine_07 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i would certainly be interested in one. I've already got a 5x4 Noon pinhole which I love but have been contemplating the Zero 2000 deluxe, for the use of 120 film and more importantly the cable release adaptor. They are beautiful things but aren't cheap so I've been looking for a second hand option for some time. I can get the 2000 without the cable release but I might as well use the Noon. The adaptor on its own for the zero is around £65 (ouch) from silverprint. The pinhole market has a few 'quality' options like Zero and Harman but would like to see more choice

17. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Razocaine, for rollfilm you can find any cheap, non-working, 1950's 120 camera and remove the bellows and door to turn it into an economical 'rollfilm-back'. With a bit of ingenuity a self-made foamcore pinhole-turret on the front could even be removable, allowing for alternative view angles, then use the window on the back of the modified body and the winder on top to wind-on the film in the usual way.

18. razocaine_07

razocaine_07 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ahh good idea, I might have to scour flea bay for an old folding camera, thanks