The next NE-APUG event (after Portraiture at VPC)

Discussion in 'New England' started by PhotoPete, Mar 13, 2006.

1. PhotoPete

PhotoPete Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all-

I am very excited about the big event coming up in two weeks, but I want to start us thinking about the next event after that. I propose a group photo outing in Greater Boston one weekend day in April. Manjo and I spent an enjoyable Saturday morning shooting at the DeCordova sculpture park and barely scratched the surface of what's there.

Possible locations to consider for such an outing:

- The aforementioned DeCordova museum (Lincoln)
    - Fort Point Channel/Seaport district (Boston)
    - Boston Common/Public Gardens (Boston)
    - Cape Ann (Gloucester, Rockport, etc.)
    - Other

If there is interest or other suggestions, please reply to this thread. I would like to keep this event LF-friendly- i.e., no major hiking involved.

In two weeks I'll make a poll with all of the suggested locations so we can vote on a destination.

Peter

2. manjo

manjo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adding to the list of things to do....

Possible locations to consider for such an outing:

- The aforementioned DeCordova museum (Lincoln)
    - Fort Point Channel/Seaport district (Boston)
    - Boston Common/Public Gardens (Boston)
    - Cape Ann (Gloucester, Rockport, etc.)

- mount auburn cemetery
    - Boston skyline from the Harvard bridge (evening/night)
    - Cape Cod light houses

3. jeffneedham

jeffneedham Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    boston would be so much easier than western mass. i live near conway and an event closer to the coast would be welcomed.

4. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depending on timing and weather, I'm in. Any of those places is good, but may I suggest adding the area near the Christian Science Center in Boston? Once they're going, the fountains are cool and there's a reflecting pool that's very pretty when still. The architecture and potential street-type shots are good, too. I'd rather do Boston or DeCordova than Cape Ann, but that's 'cause I live near Rhode Island. Also, the good spots up north seem to be scattered a bit.

5. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you have recommendation for good spots in the SE Mass? Fall River, New Bedford, South Dartmouth, etc...

Is there still an abandoned amusement park on Rt 6?

6. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    two spots I've been putting off in boston is as has been mentioned...the christian science place along Mass Ave, and the Broad Street area as the various types of architecture is spectacular. Drew

7. jeffneedham

jeffneedham Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The good spots up north? Scattered? We have lots of good stuff up north. Isn't that why the majority of the population of Massachusetts comes up here every weekend?

8. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was only thinking of the Cape Ann area. I like Motif #1 (and the shopping nearby), and there are nice dock areas in Gloucester, but the lighthouses aren't too close - you have to keep getting back in the car and driving somewhere else.

As for SE Ma, I don't really like Fall River or New Bedford because I never feel safe. But there must be some good old factories, etc.. I might try Woonsocket, RI sometime, though for those. The Cape is pretty much a "target rich environment" as an old military friend of mine would say. And I don't know about an old amusement park - someone whose lived in MA longer might.

9. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes that amusement park which was in Dartmouth I think, burned down 5-10 years ago...and I'm not sure if anything is left to photograph. maybe each member should suggest a location near where they live, and host the event, which would include setting up, with directions, subject matter, and then a place to eat after. Others would decide if they want in on it or not. We could spread this out over the year. Workshops such as the 25th and others including dark room practices, zone system, architecture, landscape, etc, are what I'm most looking forward to.

10. sionnac

sionnac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Boston area would be great (relying on public transportation). I can also pitch the Arnold Arboretum (right next door!): here. Hopefully some spring budding and crocuses by then.

11. JamesG

JamesG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never been to Boston, but if someone wants to hold my hand (j/k) and show me around, I'm game. How's the city for lugging a LF camera around?

12. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you don't have to walk too far to go from one side to the other....but I think if a few people moved around by car/van from subject matter to subject matter, things would be great. For people who've never been to Boston, you could just follow the freedom trail by the before mentioned car. If you like architecture or city scapes, you're in for a thrill. There was no planning when this city was built and that is what makes it unique.

Plus, I'm sure we could find some ladies to hold your hand if needed! But, not much photography would get done!

13. manjo

manjo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does the city allow tripods on weekends ? I have read horror stories of ppl getting busted by NYPD for using tripod etc.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. PhotoPete

PhotoPete Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never seen or heard of any regulation of the use of tripods on the public sidewalks...doesn't mean that it won't be an issue if some member of law enforcement gets a bee in their bonnet...

I am looking into the Christian Science Center as it was one of the suggested destinations. I know that they have rules about photography on the church grounds, so I want to make sure we would be in compliance with those rules.

Parking in Boston can be a real problem, unless you are willing to pay for garage parking at every site. However, it is quite compact, as Drew mentioned. If we get together for a mixed-format outing, it would be logical to break up into groups by format, as the MF and 35 mm folks will certainly move much more quickly and cover a lot more ground than the LF'ers. Ideally, we should try to identify meeting places that have some parking capacity, nearby interest to give the LF'ers some good subjects without having to hike for miles, but still provide a high enough density of interest that the smaller format folks don't run out of subjects in the first 15 minutes.

I'm hoping to keep these outings relatively open and unstructured- a list of dates, times and locations where there will be APUGers out shooting, and people can participate as they wish...

16. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the predictable nature of unpredictable weather, that's a good idea. I would most likely take the T into town (but I shoot 35mm and MF). Parking can be next to impossible, as previously stated. I've never had a problem with a tripod, but the T police will stop you from taking pictures inside South Station. I got to keep my film, but I think my work ID may have helped with that.

I didn't know there were restrictions on photography at the Christian Science Center. They don't have any signs outside, so is it just for the inside?

17. jeffneedham

jeffneedham Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are they worried about security at South Station? Think of all the people there meeting family members, right off the train, who have their handy digicams. I doubt they get stopped.

18. PhotoPete

PhotoPete Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are no signs, but the Christian Science Center forbids commercial use of images made on their property. They usually don't say anything to the casual shooter, but the men in yellow coats will come pay a polite visit if they see people with tripods.

19. Marco S.

Marco S. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Cambridgeside Galleria has all day parking on Saturday and I believe Sunday as well for a flat fee of $4.00. Quick access to the T and Calumet as well.

Marco

20. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Parking at the Alewife terminal, at the end of the highway portion of Rt 2, is a very convenient way to get into Boston for anyone who may come to the city via Rt 95 - north or west. Easy in, easy out and $4.50 for 24 hours. Red line trains for a fast shot into Cambridge and then Bean-town.

21. Troy

Troy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well alright, let's get a date set here Photo Pete, so I can clear out my schedule. Late April... May?

22. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  23. manjo

manjo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pete do u have a date for this shoot yet ? is this going to be towards the end of April ? 3rd week of april for instance ?

24. JamesG

JamesG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be interested in knowing the date of anything planned ASAP as April is turning out to be a busy month. Also, as I have never been in Red Sox country, I would need a lot of info as to getting there, meeting place, motel, parking, and all the ususal nonsense that an out-of-towner would need. Thanks.

25. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I wouldn't suggest wearing Yankees clothing, unless you don't mind crass comments. It's gotten annoying, but Sox fans will berate any Yankees fan they see. I only mention this because you're from the NYC area.

As for hotel and everything else - it may depend on exactly where the shooting will take place. Boston itself is not cheap to stay in and parking is also dear. It may make sense for out-of-towners to stay in someplace like Waltham and carpool into Boston proper. I am likely to take the T from Riverside (just south of Waltham) and can meet up with everyone at wherever gets chosen. Boston is a relatively easy city to walk. Since I'll probably have a 35mm and a MF, I won't need a car/pack mule.

April is also getting very busy for me, too.

26. JamesG

JamesG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have heard that staying in the city is expensive so I figured I would stay somewhere outside the city and drive in for the day. I am open to siggestions and options. Nothing is set in stone.

Thanks,
    James