the objectiv for street photography

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jonny, Jul 25, 2012.

1. jonny

jonny Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have two Hasselblad with a 80mm single lens. I would like to know what to buy the objectiv street photography

2. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Really up to how you want to shoot. Some like wide, close but flying in all directions. Some like more distance. I've had a good time with a 40mm lens on 35m film; a 60mm is similar in 6x6, while a 50mm I tried on a Hassy was a touch too wide for my style.

Key phrase: my style. I've seen 40mm on a Hassy used well by others.

3. rthomas

rthomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used to have a Fuji GS645s rangefinder, the one with the 60mm f/4 lens, and I found it perfect for street photography.

4. jonny

jonny Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks to daniel dan and rthomas

5. Jose A Martinez

Jose A Martinez Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I go to street shooting with a Hasselblad I use a 50 mm. I really love it. The only concern to me is that it's like slow, max aperture is f 4.5

6. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's no right or wrong really, whatever fits your style. I use an 80mm myself, but I've seen great street work done with ultra wides, Shinya Arimoto comes to mind (http://www.flickr.com/photos/55411539@N04/). The only thing I'd avoid is tele lenses, to make good documentary style photos you need to get in close and interact with people, not snipe from afar like a paparazzo. Also, big lenses undoubtedly attracts attention and makes people uncomfortable. Not really an option with a Hassy though.

7. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A really cool way of unobtrusive street shooting can be done with the SWC I suppose! If there wasn´t the price, I´d have bought one long ago... Otherwise I would recommend 60/3,5 or to stick with the 80mm you already have.

8. jonny

jonny Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I thank everyone for the advice you gave me. I think a good lens with a focal length 60 mm, is for my style, the perfect object, I also want to follow the advice to add to my kit two film back flap

jonny