The old in and out. (refrigerating and thawing film and paper)

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mirrorslap, Aug 2, 2005.

1. mirrorslap

mirrorslap Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Several times in the past couple of weeks, I have been intending to go out and shoot some film; I removed my APX and Acros from the fridge to let it warm up. Then, for one reason or another, I decided not to go out and shoot. Back into the fridge went the film(s). I have done this also with RC paper; will moving the films and paper from the fridge and back again (repeatedly) cause any problems, say, from condensation? Thanks!

2. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shouldn't think so. I regularly take a box of sheet film out of the fridge, let it warm up for 30 mins or an hour (or more), load some holders and replace the rest of the box back in the fridge ready to repeat the process days later.

Cheers, Bob.

3. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too have taken film in and out of the fridge and not experienced any problems.

4. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yer suppose to take the film OUT of the fridge and shoot it?

I guess I am just a bit unclear on the concept.

tim in san jose

5. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess it depends of whether you are doing your shooting inside the fridge. :smile:

6. Max Power

Max Power Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only thing that I would suggest is that you ensure that the film and paper be in zip-lock bags. I do this and also throw in a couple of those little dessicant packets into the bags for good measure.

What this does is ensures that when you pull the film or paper out of the refrigerator or freezer the condensation forms on the outside of the zip-lock and not on the film/paper. Let it warm up to room temp and everything will be OK.

FWIW this is what I do when I bring my cameras and film into the house after being outside on cold winter days.

Kent

7. mirrorslap

mirrorslap Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm

Seems like a good idea. Apparently you don't do things "the Max Power way!" :tongue: