The only thing stopping me...

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by bvy, Jul 6, 2012.

1. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...from processing my own color film (C41) is my indecision over which kit to get. There seems to be no consensus on any of them -- everyone has their own opinion and experiences of course. Based on my reading, though, I think I have two requirements:
    1. A liquid concentrate kit, not a powder kit
    2. A kit with separate bleach and fix (versus a blix).

I thought the Rollei Digibase kit might be for me, but their own instructions seem to have some glaring omissions -- such as the lack of a rinse between certain steps. I've also read about shoddy packaging in some cases. Am I just being fussy?

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The Rollei kit is ok and you can add the wash step yourself. The Photographer's Formulary has a one liter kit of Kodak brand chemicals, which is also very good.

3. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. jpreston

jpreston Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used the Digibase kit with good results. Currently using the Tetenal powder kit with blix instead of separate bleach/fix. Results seem a little more inconsistent. I do have another Digibase kit to use once the Tetenal is exhausted, though.

I have plenty of Kodak Flexicolor developed and fixer just waiting to be cracked open as soon as I can find a reasonable supplier for the bleach and final rinse.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used the Unicolor C-41 1 liter kit with excellent results. It is a powder kit. Just follow the mixing instructions and maintain the temperature. When I use it, I process 12 to 16 rolls [or equivalent] in two days and I have not detected any change in color.

6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With those two requirements, both the Rollei and Fuji kits will be good for you. While the Rollei instructions are bad, there are some HUGE threads on APUG about how to use it, or read the FAQ in my signature.

If you buy Rollei, make sure none of the developer concentrates has gone purple; that's the sign it's oxidised due to bad packaging.