The Perfect Vehicle for LFers is ?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Daniel Grenier, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Daniel Grenier

Daniel Grenier Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Through the years I've had many different vehicles to haul me and my LF gear: Volvo, mini van, Jeep Cherokee, VW Camper etc. All very different indeed. As my current car has had it (a plain old Camry), I am looking at my next set of wheels with much more emphasis on hauling gear with the ability to "sustain" me for several days at a time on long(ish) trips.

So I'm curious. What do you guys drive out there when you're gone for days and how are you set up for trips?

Thanks

2. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For 20-years I drove Toyota Landcrusiers - that's when they were off-road vehicles not the air-conditioned, all power, grocery getters of the gated communities. Unfortunately, the good ones are no longer imported into North America.

I tried a Mercedes station wagon for a few years, and while it held plenty of stuff, it was too low to the ground to navigate even moderately rough dirt roads.

Now I have a 4WD Ford Ranger pick-up. Plenty of ground clearance - plenty of room in the back. If I were buying a new one, or had a larger choice of used ones, I think I'd get an extended cab so the cameras, at least, could be stored inside.
    juan

3. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Recently purchased a Ford Ranger with extended cab. Great for day trips holding LF gear. My wife & I even took a vacation to Michigan with the extended cab portion holding gear + clothes. A Brett Weston video (1970s?) shows him living out of his truck with small camper back. I've used a shell on a previous truck & it works fine for 1-2 in camping.

4. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny you posted this, I had been thinking about it for a while. The ultimate 'photo' vehicle to me would be a flat bed truck. Nothing big, just something to get up on, have platform to work from, plus you can add side gates to keep things in while moving. As for camping the good old pickup with a camper or just a tent...but alas, I retire my 1994 Camry "Pickup" for a 1998 Accord "Pickup" - I use a car like most people use a pickup...150,000-200,000 miles and they are pretty much done.

The wife gets the new vehicle, I get the last one....

5. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab 4 wheel drive pick up. Not much on gas mileage and I may trade it in the future but right now it is the best I have had. I used to be in the home remodel biz and it was very handy for that. The problem with 4 wheel drive is it just means you can go futher back into the boonies before you get stuck. :smile:

lee\c

6. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can afford it I would suggest a Land Rover Defender. Comfortable, fairly economical, with a tried, tested and proven history and still with true offroad ability. Not a school bus at all!

See them here http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Products/Defender/default.htm

Sorry Sean, its the manufacturers site but its the best place to see Landies!

7. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ford Ranger 4WD extended cab for me too. Rides great on the highway, very nice suspension system, good ground clearance; in all, a lot of good stuff for the money.

Just junked a 1971 International TravelAll a few weeks back. Never got around to restoring it. It was a real PITA to drive in traffic with its Bowflex-resistance clutch pedal. What a rugged beast it was though.

8. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Not sure you can even get a Defender in the US.

9. mark

mark Member

Nope, no defenders in the US unless it is used. The soccer moms did not buy enough.

I drive a Chevy Blazer (the small one) runs perfect after 165,000 miles. Stows all my stuff. If I use the luggage rack the whole famn damily including the dogs can go, but not on long trips. Off road it is decent if not very high. Thank goodness for the plates underneath.

10. b.e.wilson

b.e.wilson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I drive a Subaru Forester. It isn't a good LF vehicle, but it will tow the perfect vehicle: a Honda Rincon ATV with a large carrier on the back rack. It will get me pretty close to the remote locations in much of Utah by following established trails, then walking from there.

The trouble with a good ATV is that it's so fun to ride I'll pass by a good scene thinking I'll just come back and get it later. When I do come back I think the same thing again and just keep riding.

11. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    How about this? It's even for sale....

Shipping from Austrailia might be a tad hgh, however :D

12. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Daniel is in CANADA. To my knowledge not yet a part of the US.:tongue:

13. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi

I really like my Kia Optima that is 2.5 litres and V6. I can drive in pretty f.u.c.k.e.d up terrain and it quite comfortable and has lots of space in the trunk for LF equipment (although I don't shoot LF I know...).

Morten

Pictures of my car

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2004
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isuzu Trooper II, 4-banger, manual, no power, but good to great milage, lots o room, , cheap to buy easy to throw away when costs get high and will go anywhere.

16. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've always had full sized vans. Usually with some conveniance in them for comfort while travelling. But always plenty of room for lots of gear and the dog. We just last month bought a full size Chevy with the Explorer conversion. So we are in comfort and the vehicle carries lot's of gear. With big enough tires to get over and through almost anywhere.

17. Deniz

Deniz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    a 95 Dodge Caravan here.. V6 is plenty pwerfull and had a timeproven design.
    I am happy with mine and i can load it up.. also i have the luggage rack on it which i put a big wood board on and it makes a great high vantage point for some shots.

18. DrPhil

DrPhil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I recently sold my 1996 Jeep Cherokee. It was a great vehicle; however, it isn't practical for me right now. I am planning on buying a new Toyota Tacoma extended cab in the next few months. The wife has already approved the purchase. If I had the money for the ultimate LF vehicle I would get a sportsmobile.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/

Talk about awesome. I saw one in Wyoming about a week ago. What an awesome machine.

19. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  20. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Two words -

Jeep
    Wrangler

Chuck the back seats....heck you can buy it sans back seats and it even comes in an extended version now, and you get more than enough room. You can add a ton of racks and storage devices to the outside, and it will go anywhere.

21. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    two more words...

HUMMER BABY!!!!

8 miles to the gallon...lots of space for my digital camera....and i can take it anywhere...

did i post this on the wrong site?

22. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think you want www.photo.net.

23. Gary892

Gary892 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I too have been doing extensive research into the ultimate LF vehicle. I like the H1 Hummer. Not the new H2 that is all fancy, but the military H1. Not too many creature comforts but will get you there and has a bed in the back to photograph from.
    Retails for around $100,000. Anyone want to pool their money?

24. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I used to have one myself; I got over 252,000 miles on it before someone decided to re-arrange my front end. Too bad; it had the original engine/transmission - great running car. Now, I just drive a Honda. But, living on a small island, I don't need much more. I just keep the tripod in the back and walk where I need to.

25. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    He is probably happy about that. Don't want to offend him. :smile:

26. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love our Subaru Forester for photo expeditions, but I'd be lost without my 2500 series GMC van.