The runt of the litter

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by philldresser, Jan 9, 2005.

1. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whilst on hols in South Africa I had a few hours to myself and headed into the bundu (outback, countryside) armed with my Nikon, FP4 and good intentions. It was near the end of a bright, hot day with some atmospheric haze starting to form and pretty soon I came across a few wind pumps standing in the dry fields, lovely hills in the background. Felt good to get out and lit rip. I rattled off a roll in around an hour, but when the last shot on the roll was upon me so I decided to try and get a different view point and climbed up a convenient mound of earth. Great view point!. So I focus, stop down as much as I dare and I'm just about to press the shutter when the mound of earth gives way and I move 2-3 foot down, rapidly. In my fright I tripped the shutter.

Guess which was the best image on the film? Its blurred due to camera shake but still framed perfectly. To me it just says what I wanted to say with the 'static' shots. Fate can be good sometimes.

Anyone else had lucky accidents?

Phill

2. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Phill a great story and had me laughing for ages at the thought of you disappearing into a huge mole hole. Must admit that after all these years I still feel that my best pictures have been lucky accidents, sometimes due to right time / place and others that maybe my brain saw something that my eyes didn't.

3. Annemarieke

Annemarieke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This reminds me of a photo workshop I did very long ago, in the Belgian Ardennes. The photographer who was running the workshop, made us walk around the landscape with our camera hanging around our necks, loaded with a cheap roll of slide film. Were were not allowed to focus or to look through the viewfinder. Anytime we felt an emotion, we had to press the shutter.

I felt a real twit, walking around a beautiful area, just clicking away with a camera that was hanging around my neck.

A few weeks later we had a slide show with all the 'best' slides, and we were all amazed at how good they were!

So much for trying hard to make a good image!

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All my pictures are lucky accidents! Are there any other sort?

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, I wish that I made the same type of accidents that you do. Your B&W stuff is really good.

6. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. ian_greant

ian_greant Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yeah, I've got that one truly fits the description (although I didn't have to fall off a dirtpile)
    Once I get my office back together I'll try to remember to scan it. Like you it was the best shot of the roll.

Cheers,
    Ian