The selfie

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by cliveh, Nov 21, 2013.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Would the word “selfie” ever have taken off without the digital image? And does the selfie have more selfie if recorded on film?

2. Dave in Kansas

Dave in Kansas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To show how far behind times I am, I had to Google the word to find out what it meant. I have not heard it used before, but then again, it seems like I sort of live in a cave.

Dave

3. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure it would have taken off. The 'selfie' is made to put on Facebook or whatever, it often it's to say 'look how good I look'. I think narcissism is often a quick, instinctive thing, and does not suit waiting to finish the roll, sending it off to get developed etc.

I'm sure some people must have taken pictures of themselves on film looking great, waited to process the roll and then showed the prints to friends down the pub. Maybe not great enough numbers for it have been given a name though.

4. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are caves in Kansas? :wink:

5. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That particular word is just an example of today's society - some are obsessed with what they look like and need to show every one else to boost their own undeveloped self esteem.

6. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    This probably came about because the Oxford English Dictionary made "selfie" the word of the year. Lol

And, I was just flipping through Annie Leibovitz' book, "Photographers Life" and there is a page of topless selfies of herself, it says "self portrait" but they are certainly in the style of a selfie, holding the camera and in the mirror shot in a bedroom, not a studio shot professional self portrait, there lies the difference.

It made me laugh, of course Annie would have a selfie... Lol

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never taken a picture of myself in my life.

8. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I 1st learned photography, one of the guiding rules was to avoid including evidence of self in the image (eg, thumb on lens). But Lee Friedlander changed the rules by including some evidence of self. Cyndi Sherman expanded it to include only self in her work. Today's selfie includes the narcissism of Sherman and the evidence of being there (existence) of Friedlander. Now I suppose critics will have to invent new ArtSpeak in order to argue that the Selfie is art.

9. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    They have. It's pronounced "Ka-ching"

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    love that !

===

there are plenty of words that existed before digital photography or "now" that have become
    famous because of "now" and "viral culture" ... i knew plenty of people who skateboarded,
    were unshaven, listened to grunge music, and other "stuff" like referred to self portraits as "selfies"
    well before 2013 ...

i thinkit is funny that someone may even think that it only has to do with digital self portraits and FB
    when they have been around since photography existed ...

myfavorite selfie ( from one of the discoverers of photography ) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Hippolyte_Bayard_-_Drownedman_1840.jpg

11. jimrohrer

jimrohrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just looking at Vivian Maier's work... she was certainly taking "selfies" before anyone ever thought of the word!

12. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Self portraiture has been around as long as people figured out a way to see their own reflections, I'm sure.

"Selfies" though, fall into the category of things that are off-topic for APUG. I'd see a "selfie" as strictly a digital photograph, ideally produced with a smartphone, for immediate posting on a social media site on the internet.

I have a cousin who made a thing of holding his 35mm Olympus Stylus Epic at arm's length and taking photos of himself with everyone in the family sometime back in the 1980s I think, and I wouldn't call those "selfies," because we didn't have social media then.

13. analoguey

analoguey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd probably distinguish between a "selfie" and a self-portrait. Selfies generally have about as much thought in them as would be permitted for those photos to go up at Broadband speeds. Portraits generally, I would say have more thought into them.
    Selfies are also - in my experience - really bad photographs, whether from showing the person in them or generally to view at. Amongst the most hated things on FB/insta/twitter streams : Selfies/Newly married photo and the comments on them. UGH. (Not as much for the photo but the fake comments and the 'me-too' scheme of things)

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1.

It's more about posting the image on an internet site where your friends can see it, than the act of capturing your own image on some digital medium.

16. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Vivian Maier did a self-portrait in which half of her face was in heavy shadow, and the city was in the background, just the right amount out of focus. I think it's the best self-portrait I've ever seen.
    Certainly not to be compared to the fools holding their cell phones at arms length and making a variety of faces while they take images of themselves.
    Some people need a life.

17. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Anne Brigman was taking "selfies" a hundred years ago and making art (by the standards of the time) while doing it.

19. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What language is that word?

20. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    English... As I said it was named word of the year by the Oxford English dictionary, it doesn't get any more official than that...

21. blansky

blansky Subscriber

If I recall Rembrandt did a few.

22. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    True, but did he call them oil-selfies, as opposed to film-selfies, or digi-selfies?

23. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it is a selfie if the picture is of a face. A camera pointed down south produces something else.

24. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe that could be called a weinerie in recognition of a certain politician from New York.

25. Jim Taylor

Jim Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although I use social media, n'er a selfie of me to be seen. I'm no narcissist, there's a very good reason I'm always behind the camera...

Think "troll".

26. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm