The things kids pick up....

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ic-racer, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At dinner tonight my 5 year old was repeating "Developer, Stopper, Fixer, Water, Developer, Stopper, Fixer, Water, Developer, Stopper, Fixer, Water..." He had been watching me print last night in the darkroom. Amazing that he remembered that. Now if I can just get him to learn his alphabet and the other stuff he is supposed to learn at school...

2. keithostertag

keithostertag Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great time to start getting him involved with photography! Now repeat after me.... "Make more pictures, make more pictures..."

3. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    He'll be scratching his head the first time he hears that girls develop faster then boys...

4. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good thing it wasn't "Developer, Stopper, Fixer, Water, Aww Crap!"

5. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stopper? I've heard it called Stop, Stop Bath, Short Stop, but never "stopper" before - first time for everything!

He's going to be puzzled when he encounters digital. My fiance's nieces are bewildered that I shoot photos of them and can't show them right away.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, its the only one without an "er" at the end, so I guess he added that on.

He actually went digital last week when he got a digital "Leap Pad" as a gift. He takes many pictures with it, but I don't think he considers it the same "Photography" he does with his film cameras. He has a bag of 35mm and 110 plastic cameras he plays with, occasionally I'll load them with film to see what develops (sorry for the bad pun). I think in his mind holding a camera up to the eye and 'clicking' vs holding that 'Pad' out at arms length are two totally different activities.

7. Tronds

Tronds Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    But it IS!
    Real photograpy is done with the eye to the viewfinder!
    Ok I will make an exception for cameras with WLF.

Trond.

8. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kids do tend to pick up the darnedest things. The other day my daughter went running through the house yelling "MOM, DAD GOT A NEW CAMERA, ARE YOU GONNA KILL HIM NOW?".

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's a reasonable assumption!

Steve.

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The stopper blocks the hole in the bottom of the sink.

11. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Got a good one, had both twins (5yr olds, boy and girl) in the darkroom tonight. I was developing a print of the twins on the sled hill (lots of snow out here as of late) and my daughter exclaims as she magically sees her brother's and her face slowly appear on a 8x10, "I want my own darkroom!"

I gotta say, analog photography sure helps make memories, we played together, printed together, now they have a physical print of the occasion, one of those moments where it all comes together and is sooooo worthwhile (btw, think this might be one of the few photos I got of my son smiling "normal" and not snarling his nose, waving his hand to obfuscate, etc.....you bring em sledding you get the world)....

[bad photo of print]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2012