The Werra lens hood

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by cliveh, Feb 15, 2012.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    One of my cameras is a Werra and although this must be one of the most minimalist cameras ever designed, I think the most impressive part of its design is that it has the mother of all lens hoods. When screwed onto its 2.8 Tessar it looks like one of those cones dogs sometimes wear, to stop them scratching their ears. Is there another 35mm camera with a lens hood designed to cut out so much unwanted light?

2. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Werra's lens hood is designed more to protect lens between picture taking then to block light in the front of the lens.
    I heard interesting story somewhere that whole Werra design team was formed from Zeiss engineers and technicians who returned to DDR/GDR from "work" in USSR in '50's, where they helped building soviet optical industry.

3. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the Contaflexes

4. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex, but I would not agree.

5. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know of no other camera that came with a lens hood like the Werra, which came as part of the standard package, I have 2 werras amongst my collection,and the lens hood was meant to protect the shiny lens unit, but the cap that screws onto the bottom of the hood was an optional extra on the Werra,
    Richard