The Zone VI 8x10 Woodfield

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Sanjay Sen, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I am looking for some information on the Zone VI 8x10 Woodfield camera - specifications (min/max bellows, movements, etc.) and reviews/opinions from users. I did try a Google search as well as a search on this site, but without much success. So, I would appreciate if anybody could direct me to a site with the relevant info, or post them on this thread.

Any help is much appreciated.

Best wishes,

2. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There were two versions, the original and the Ultralight, with the latter discontinued only recently.

From a 1993 Zone VI catalog in my file, I find the following specifications for the original version:

Bellows draw: 34"
    Folded dimensions: 12.5"x14.75"x4.75"
    Weight: 13.7lb
    Front swing: 15 degrees
    Front base tilt: 45 degrees
    Axis tilt: unlimited
    Front rise and fall: 6" travel
    Front lateral shift: 3" travel
    Rear swing: 12 degrees
    Rear tilt: 45 degrees
    Made of Honduran mahogany and brass

At the moment I can't lay my hands on a Calumet catalog for data on the Ultralight. If I find it I'll check back here and post the info if nobody else has done so.

3. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for posting Oren.... where there some later models of the original 8x10 that had the up-dated gold platted knobs. Maybe not that useful but they might help date a camera.
    -Rob

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I currently have a Zone VI Ultralight 8x10, and if I'm not mistaken, the biggest changes between the standard Woodfield and the Ultralight was A: black anodized aluminum alloy hardware, B: Made from Walnut not Mahogany, and C: weight without lens at 9.8 lbs.

5. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There were also a number of interim changes ... chek with Richard Ritter for the details .... www.lg4mat.net

6. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Oren, for the specs. Those are what I was after. Thanks also to all who responded so quickly!

BTW, does anybody have feedback on this Zone VI 8x10 model? I would be interested in hearing from you....

Best wishes,

7. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've had my Zone VI 8x10 for almost 2 years now. I especially like the long bellows extension, sturdiness and bail back. I also own a Wisner 8x10 with 24" of bellows extension. Both are very solid cameras. The Wisner now serves as a back-up camera. With the Wisner, I would occasionally move the camera ever so slightly while loading a film holder (just enough to drive you nuts!). I've never experienced that problem with my Zone VI. My Zone VI has gold plated hardware, I believe the serial number is 238.

Hope this helps,

John

8. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That helps a lot John. Thank you! :smile:

9. dphphoto

dphphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out this recently completed auction on eBay: item # 150093620586. Look in advanced search. If I knew how to make a link, I would. Dean

10. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I own a Zone VI (I don't know what a Woodfield is) 8x10. It sure is heavy and big and it's got brass metal parts... It's not a bad design, once you get used to it... only a bit too heavy to carry around on your shoulders (I mean in a bag)...

11. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a Zone VI 8x10...serial number 270. I had my relatively small 8x10 set up on the Sante Fe Plaza during "Big Cameras on the Plaza" Day a few years back. A nice fellow stopped by and gave my camera a good look-over. I offered him a view under the darkcloth, but he declined and said he probably built my camera. But after locating the serial number, he said he had only built the first 250. I am sorry but I can't remember his name, but he told some interesting stories of the challenges of camera manufacture.

Anyway, my camera, either because it is post #250, or it is just fate, does not have the bail handle. I used a bail handle on a 4x5 for years and liked it. Both styles have their advantages...and I suppose an individual would just learn the best way of working with what ever style one owns.

One worriesome design situation I have come across is a lack a sufficient light-trap between the camera body and the back of the camera. I have had a few negs fogged. As long as I check to make sure the body and the back are perfectly alligned (there is a little slop in the fit of my camera) and keep the darkcloth over the back of the camera, I don't have any problems.

I have occasionally (and accidentily) run the standards off the focusing tracks. Its not easy (for me) to get the teeth lined back up again so that the standards are square to the rails. I do not know if this is an issue with other cameras. I have put marks on the camera the keep myself from doing it again.

210mm lenses are easy to use. Using the 159mm gets to be a challenge -- just too much bellows. The camera is steady when stretched out using my 19" lens.

The Zone VI is a heavy camera, as George observed. I just figure a day of carrying it around is a day I get some good exercise. The camera makes up about a third of the weight of my camera pack (without pod). By getting a light weight 8x10, a carbon fiber pod, and losing a couple lenses, I could reduce the weight 10 to 15 pounds...I could no longer afford to actually go anywhere, but I'd have a lighter set-up

It seems to be well made, but perhaps lacking in grace, if that is the right word for it. That's fine with me, since it is not lacking in functionbility and is a solid camera. I have used it is all types of weather and temperatures with no problems. The only problem I have comes from living and photographing here on the NW coast -- then heading to somewhere warm. I will set up the camera, focus, and as I am composing, the image starts to fuzz out. I then have to take the lensboard and back of the camera off to let the steam out. My camera just is not use to having actual sunlight on its bellows.

Vaughn

12. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks George and Vaughn for your feedback. This really helps me decide on what to go for.

Best wishes,

13. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Vaughn,

I'd be willing to bet my last dollar that the "nice fellow" was Bruce Barlow. Bruce and Richard Ritter together with Ted Harris run Fine Focus Workshops. Bruce also has some great articles and Large Format tools available on his www.circleofthesunproductions.com website. Bruce worked at Zone VI for a while and helped Richard assemble some of the cameras. If the guy was about 6' 6" tall then it was definitely Bruce.

14. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks! It probably was Bruce then. I considered him to be of average hieght, but then I am 6'4" and played high school and college basketball where I was considered to be a bit on the short side in my positions.

I will check out his website!

Vaughn