There are close-up filters; is there such a thing as a wide-angle filter?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by BetterSense, Jun 1, 2009.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've seen filters that just looked like a double-convex lens. I guess it allows you to focus closer to the lens than without it. So I'm not quite sure if this is exactly a telephoto effect or just a focus effect.

Also, you can easily find 2x teleconverters for 35mm cameras.

But I have some fixed-lens medium format cameras. Is there any way to add a lens to make a wide-angle attachment? A "wideconverter"?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes both Rollei & Yashica made WA converters, also Tele-converters, they can be used with TLR's, plus a few other companies offered them as well as fish-eye converters. They are still made for Video cameras.

Quality can be an issue, but I used one for deloberate distortion with my Mamiya 645 a few years ag.

Ian

3. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wide angle auxiliary lenses are fairly common. If you have a TLR, you should be able to find something on eBay or possibly KEH. Not sure about other fixed lens MF cameras like Fujis and such, it might be a little tough to find something to fit those larger diameter lenses.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have axillary lenses that would fit many if not most MF fixed lens cameras, I think most used a Series VII adaptor, they are certainly large enough. For some reason I have 4 or 5, I think they came in Job lots of photo bits & pieces I've bought over the years.

Ian

5. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They make 52mm screw-on thingies to the front of the lens which give you a wider angle, but the build quality varies greatly. No matter what, you are most likely going to lose a lot of edge sharpness at wider apertures.

Search ebay, that's where I spotted them being sold.

6. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What do the lenses look like? Are they double-concave? More complicated? My camera is an Agfa Isolette; I don't think I'm going to find one that just works.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here are a couple. They are multi-element units and the quality is pretty good. The Yashica just bayonets on the front. The Bolex one fits with an adapter SKGrimes made for me. It is a Tokina and I got it for about $30 second hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2009
  8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kenko has a good assortment, perhaps one may be adaptable to your camera. Do you have the Apotar lens? It doesn't look like it has any mounting threads for accessories. http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/e/P.2_3.PDF

Century optics make more expensive models ($200-$800 range)

9. robertro

robertro Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What is the filter thread on your lens? If it is small enough, your best bet for very high quality (and reasonable cost) is the Nikon series of wide angle converters for older digital cameras, like the WC-E68 (which is a steal); this gives .68x angle of view. If the thread is larger, then you may need a 55mm adapter; the Olympus series of WCON units - e.g. WCON-07x is a superb unit. If those are difficult to locate, Canon makes a number of units, as does Sony; they are all very good. The only problem with wide angle adapters, is that they may match better or worse with any given lens, so you may have to experiment - look for focus across the picture frame at near and far focus, chromatic abberation, and sharpness. Avoid brands like Opteka or Digital Optics, these are soda bottle bottoms.

10. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does an Agfa Isolette have a threaded lens to accept accessories? You may have to go with an old 'slip on' adapter, and then find the right parts to adapt the wide angle adapter. The other problem is the viewfinder. You might find an old accessory wide angle finder to go in the accessory shoe.
    The whole thing looks kind of awkward. My suggestion would be to find a different camera for wide angle work. In 35mm you might find a Yashica GSN with the telephoto and wide angle adapters and the matching accessory viewfinder. It's not real wide, about equal to 39mm on a 35mm camera. I'm just thinking of cost here. Just my two cents worth.

11. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are WA adapters for pro video. They're made by places like Century Optics. They can be quite expensive and I'm not sure how they would work on a film camera/lens.