Thermometer broke

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by afrank, Mar 27, 2012.

1. afrank

afrank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi All,

I was developing with the tetanal kit some films when my thermometer slipped my hands and I think contaminated the developer :/, right at the end of the dev process.
    It was a red colored liquid that would not stain anything but my latex gloves. I dont think it was any kind of mercury liquid.

How save is it to reuse the developer? If working (after a test roll) would its live be diminished?

Thanks!

2. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure it is alcohol with red dye. Not sure how, or if, it will contaminate your chem though.

3. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your images are much more valuable than the cost of chemicals. Buy new developer.

4. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well the alcohol won't do anything, the dye might stain the film a tiny bit. Mercury is silver coloured. Blue or red liquids in thermometers are alcohol and dye, you can't dye mercury.

5. afrank

afrank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks I did. Still that leaves the question of alcohol being a developer killer, as other have mentioned! I would think it just makes the solution more dilute and it was only few drops anyway.

6. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do a stringent clip test (an inch of film you expose in your camera) in the 'contaminated' developer. It might turn out that the contamination is not worthy of worry. - David Lyga

7. mts

mts Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ethanol can be used as cosolvent for phenidone, so it's unlikely that a small amount of an alcohol will affect a black & white developer. Just run a snip test to determine if there is any problem.

8. afrank

afrank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did run a test today and can state that the Tetenal Color Developer was not affected by the drop of alcohol from the colored thermometer!

9. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's good to know. One of us sooner or later is likely to have the same accident.Thanks

pentaxuser