They can't give it away...

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MattCarey, Aug 13, 2005.

1. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ....a six foot long bed???? YIKES!

3. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd like to see the tripod you'd use for that one!

Maybe you could convert the bellows into a spare bedroom?

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    These things usually sit on a table or the floor, and they may be built into two rooms, with film end in a darkroom, and the lens end in a room with a copy board and copy lights, and if there are vacuum easels at one or both ends, the compressor might be somewhere else to keep the noise down.

5. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These have come up occasionally on eBay with someone commenting about it here on APUG. This is the first time that I recall a "giveaway".

Is there any value in the lens? It seems to me that an 8" lens that covers such a huge negative must be fairly wide.

Matt

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, it might cover only at 1:1 and closer. The lenses are definitely worth looking into, just to see what they have. Longer process lenses, like a 30" Artar, still are worth some money.

7. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    most of these cameras are in one room with safe light and like David says they sit on a table. They usually enlarge to around 300% of original size and reduce the image to about 50%. Some will go as far down as 25%. They can be made into enlargers but the hassle is not worth it to me. These cameras were used in the printing industry. The Goodkin was an entry level camera that was very serviceable in my opinion as a camera.

lee\c

8. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not only that, but there are 8x10 enlargers, Dursts mainly, going into the dumpsters every month because the can't be sold, shipped, or given away... and since the firm no longer makes color seps, and the darkroom is no longer needed, the business is moving.

A local firm pitched 2 Dursts, and a 2 DeVeres last year. The oldest was 20 years old....

So, get out there and check all the established commercial businesses !

9. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know where there's a larger (20x24?) process camera rotting away near me. It was purchased by and art museum new, and word is it was never actually used. It's now in storage and slowly falling apart.

Lee

10. pwcphoto

pwcphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I couldn't give mine away either

I had a Brown 20x24 process camera at my office and when we had to move to a smaller facility I tried to get rid of it. No takers other then a scrap steel guy. It was 8 feet long, weighed in at over 1000 lbs and was totally obsolete in todays world of scanners and CAD systems. I used to use if for making film tools of printed circuit board artwork and reducing schematic drawings to smaller sizes for publications. I had bought it many years ago for around $3500 at a printing company auction. Can't complain, got 20 good years out of it.

On the bright side, I took the vacuum film holder apart and made a nice 20x24 vacuum easel out of it. I took the copy board off and made a nice contact print frame out of it. And I gutted the bellows and shutter and lens out of it in case I ever wanted to build some sort of large format camera, it used an electric packard shutter and had a nice 240mm G Claron, makes for a very nice enlarging lens. And I took the electronics panel out as it had some nice timers.

Was like taking apart an old friend, but times are changing I guess, and now I have a beautiful oak based vacuum easel to use, so not a total waste.

If anyone can pick these units up, it is well worth it to strip them down, for those parts as I did, and then drop the rest off at the scrap yard. Lots of good usable parts on them as long as you have a forklift to move them around.