Things Looking Good For Ilford

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Steve Smith, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. h.v.

h.v. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great news! Always nice to see at least one of the major film companies doing well. Like it has been said to death before, Ilford is the only one that seems committed long-term to film; that is why HP5, FP4, and Delta are my films of choice for black and white, not Tri-X or Acros or Neopan. Too bad there isn't a colour film manufacturer that is committed long-term. At least Fuji should still be selling stuff for a few more years (I hope).

3. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's good news. Diverse offerings, allows them to continue to offer black and white offerings, and possibly allow for some R&D of film as well.
    I'm really really hoping they come out with an infrared film similar to Efke IR820, but with better quality control.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please, Ilford/Harman, spool up some 127!

6. BradleyK

BradleyK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great to hear that our friends at Ilford are doing well. For over 30 years, PanF and FP4 (more recently PanF plus and FP4) have been my "go-to" films for my black and white landscape/fine art/ architecture work. HP5 (HP5 Plus), in turn, has long been one of "walk-about" films, used whenever I am just loitering around town with an M6 (the other, of course, being the irreplaceable Tri-X). And as far as paper goes...well...Ilford has, over the last decade or so become synonymous... I do wish our friends at EK had a similar level of commitment (what I wouldn't give for the continuation of Ektachrome...).

7. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ilford did market a very good E6 process colour slide film back in the early 80's. It was sharp and had very fine grain with almost as much punch as Velvia 50, then it just disappeared. No explanation was give that I heard.

8. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This was, of course, the "old" Ilford, pre-Harman, and I'm sure that I've read elsewhere in the forum that the later of their color films were own-label products from Konica. I think it's many, many years since Ilford coated any color film.

And congratulations to Harman for maintaining a sound business.

9. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heck, I think most would be satisfied with ANY commitment to film from EK. They have labeled film as a non core business and thus have marked it FOR SALE. Kodak is about as non committed to film as you can get.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know. I did a quick search before posting, posted, then immediately saw the other thread (two others now!).

Steve.