think i have a problem...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by JessicaDittmer, Feb 4, 2011.

1. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so I processed a roll from my "new" rollei III type II. It's hanging right now drying and I see fine lines all the way down it across the entire film...something inside scratching the film? :sad:

2. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    here is my sad image:
    [​IMG]
    I believe my settings on my camera need adjusting too, I metered and used two cameras because I was testing this one out (first use for the rollei)...and this one is a lot darker in results. I plan to send it off to be cleaned, lubed and shutters timed anyway....:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
  4. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure looks like scratching during transport. Can you tell if the scratches are on the emulsion side or the backing?

-NT

5. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see it in the emulsion looks like.

6. tih

tih Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe a stuck roller? The emulsion side of the film (except for the edges) should only be touching rollers during film transport, so unless one or more of them is stuck, and not rotating, there should be nothing to scratch the emulsion. (If the scratches were on the back, I'd look at the pressure plate, of course.)

7. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm investigating, they seem to roll fine, I'm wondering if this cord should not be having the film under the first roller...I read it was to be loaded this way and now am finding conflicting info...I'm downloading a manual to be sure.
    This is a 1952-53 rolleicord III type II (no red window) film winding/advance all works fine. there is a white counter on the side and it counts fine...from what I'm finding NOW...it is NOT to go under that first roller...it's to go on top so I'm to blame for my crappy neg. "user error"...and will attempt another roll when the boys get home here soon and will process and check it this afternoon....I'll post what I find...Thanks for all the help everyone, I like being here and learning!

8. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a nice picture. Don't feel bad. Most old cameras need a tune up after you buy them. I know mine did. Be sure to mention these scratches when you send in the camera.

r

Mats

9. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't speak for the Rolleicord III but on the later Rolleicords the film does NOT go under the supply side roller, but on top of that roller.

10. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used a Rolleicord III intermittently since about 1979 and can confirm that it should *NOT* take the film under the first roller. That's almost certainly your problem, IMHO. The film goes over both rollers. (Most Rolleiflexen, and maybe later 'cord models, have a "feeler" roller that the film goes under---I didn't know this when I first got my Rolleiflex, and I couldn't figure out why it would just advance and advance forever...)

-NT

11. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    problem solved...this last roll was OVER the first roller, and all is good! Negs are drying and I'm a HAPPY GIRL! It felt "right" in the camera this time...as things advanced, the feel, the whole thing felt different and "right". SOOOO happy! I'll be sure to post some when they are all dry and I scan them. I appreciate everyone's help. I have a rolleiflex too so I will be sure not to make this mistake again when I go to use that one! whew!

12. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!! They turned out GREAT THIS TIME!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to know about the roller on the 'Cords. I would have done the same as the OP, being used to a 'Flex.

14. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lines on the first neg give you an "artistic" effect. Make a huge enlargement, add a ridiculous price, send it to a gallery and be famous.
    I really do think the lines give it an unusual look.

15. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Will printing the negs with Edwal No Scratch help?

16. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    they looked painful to me LOL!!!!!!! ouchy!

17. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad you find the problem!

Jeff

18. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need to to put the film under the roll, more exactly between two rolls, only on the automatic models of Rolleiflexes. This is how they detect when the film suddenly becomes thicker at the joint paper-film. (Where the film itself begins.)
    On Rolleicords and non-auto Flexes the film goes over the rollers.

Too bad you scratched the first film. That first image was funny and good.
    Nice idea of a background too.

19. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I didn't feel like dragging my real backgrounds out or figuring out studio strobes with this type of camera (which is what I use with my digital usually) so we were playing. I have a Rolleiflex as well so I'll be sure to not make this mistake again!