think i just messed up on a minulta buy

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by cyberspider, Jul 18, 2011.

1. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well i just bought a Minolta 7000 SLR Camera Body and i bought it to use my x700 lenses on but reading on wiki it says the mount is different so i dont think they will fit

2. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry about that but the 7000 uses the "A" mount and all the manual focus models use the "SR" mount. You may be able to find an adapter to use them but I highly doubt it. I don't mean to be so negative about it, but on the bright side, the 7000 is a good camera and lenses for them are plentiful.

3. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yeah, they're incompatible. You can get adapters but the quality is terrible since they need to include an optical element to achieve infinity focus.

4. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    great wasted more money sigh i was just looking at the lenses in the uk its high £100 + for a good lens

5. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    flip the camera. as long as you can break even nothing lost.

6. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yeah i could ill see when it gets here i may keep it see if i can pick up a cheap lens for it to play with maybe good for a BW camera with a 50mm wide on

7. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can pick up the "little beercan" 35-70 and the "beercan" 70-210 for decent prices and excellent quality.

8. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    beercan?????sorry if im being thick lol

9. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can usually buy that "beercan" 35~70 lens attached to a Minolta Qtsi for about $20-$25 on the 'bay. Keep the Qtsi as a backup body, and enjoy the 7000.

10. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Minolta, when they went AF, designed 2 stellar zoom lenses for the kit. They look like cans if beer. The 70-210/4 is an especially good zoom, perhaps the best on the market at the time. The 35-70/4, while not very wide, is also excellent and very inexpensive. Get the 2, a fast 50 and a 24 or 28mm and you have a very good AF film setup.

11. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    check out the lens reviews on www.dyxum.com if you haven't already. Everything you need to know about a-mount lenses is there.

12. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 7000 is a good camera. Not too fast on the AF but a solid user. I have one with the 35-70 and love it. If you don't want to carry a bunch of lenses a Tamron 28-200 can be found fairly cheap. Not super sharp at the extremes but OK for everday shooting. The 7000, both lenses and an 8000i were about $100 on ebay about a year ago. Deals are out there for you.

13. pityacka

pityacka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    cyberspider, If you are still considering an adaptor for your Minolta lenses to fit your 7000, have a look at :
    www.srb-griturn.com (here in the UK) Sony Alpha camera body to use Minolta MD lens on it. which includes the Minolta; Konica Minolta AF cameras, SRB have such an adaptor with lens element, price £44-95. But if you search *bay I think you will find plenty Minolta AF lenses. Last year a friend bought a Minolta 7000 on *bay, with 2-3 lenses; flash, etc. for under £100. Apart from searching for lenses on their own, you can sometimes find a camera for sale with lenses included. Best of luck.

14. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  15. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, CyberSpider;

You could always just get another Minolta X-700 body, and continue to use those manually focusing SR mount lenses. The X-700 was one of the most successful Minolta camera bodies, and there are a lot of them out there. The display cabinet at one of the local camera shops has six (6) of them right now. Do not worry about people warning you about "the dreaded capacitor failure problem." Yes, there was a batch of capacitors that went into the first samples manufacturered when they moved the X-700 to Indonesia, but even that was not a guaranteed thing, and it is not all that common. Even if it does happen, it takes three screws to take off the bottom and about 10 minutes with a soldering iron to change the thing to a more modern capacitor with an even higher level of reliability. This is not a problem.

Then you still have the Minolta 7000 with the "A" or AF mount, and the 7000 was a pace setting camera in its own right. Watch for lenses for it. You will find them with a price less than 100 UKNP. I did that with my Minolta Dynax 9 or Maxxum 9.

16. pityacka

pityacka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ralph, Don't tempt cyberspider with the Minolta Dynax 9. I wanted one for years. In 1999 I settled for the 800si, my first Minolta camera - then that has been followed by the 9000; the 600si; the Dynax 7; another 800si (for £40) All those were used/second hand. Then 3 months ago finally bought a Dynax 9 together with the grip for £175, here in the UK. Dealers are asking £160 for the grip alone. I can't work out whether I got the camera for £15, or the grip free. !!!

17. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well new camera come today here it is
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like a keeper. You will find a nice lens for it. One nice thing about the 7000 is it uses standard AAA batteries available everywhere.

19. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That white bloom on the battery door will clean up nicely.

20. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hope so any ideas what to clean it with