Thinking of selling all my Mamiya cameras & lenses

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shootar401, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    For the past few days I've been thinking of selling all my Mamiya stuff, an RZ67 with a 65/110/180, 4 backs, Prism II and a 645 pro with a 65/80 and 2 backs and just getting a Mamiya 7II with a 80mm. I've looked at all of my past work and realized that all of my photography is done at the semi wide and normal ranges. I don't shoot closeups and rarely if ever changed film types mid-roll. The RZ is what I shoot most of my personal projects on and the 645 is my travel camera that I take everywhere. I feel that a 7II would be a lighter and smaller option that will give me the same if not better quality across the board from projects to travel. Plus its easier to lug around in a back pack.
    Thoughts anyone?

2. Matus Kalisky

Matus Kalisky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This sounds like a very reasonable conclusion. If the way Mamiya 7 works & handles is fine for you - then go for it. Optically-wise there isn't anything better the the weight & size difference to RZ is big. I mean BIG.

Just go for it.

3. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking for a RZ67 Pro II kit, because I like close up photography. If yours is a Pro II, and you decide to sell, PM me the specifics and your price. :smile:

4. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's not a pro II its just the pro. I didn't need the micro focus thingy when I was shopping for my kit so I saved the $ and went with the Pro. And besides I can do the half stop and half shutter speeds with my prism anyway so it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

5. arpinum

arpinum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I went the opposite direction, but my needs seem to oppose yours. The 7II is similar in size to a large slr, with the lens sticking out pretty far. It wasn't small enough for me. The focusing was more difficult than other rangefinders, and I really wish it had better close focus. I also wasn't comfortable with how harsh the lenses could be, too sharp with certain subjects. Exposure compensation knob was a pain, lens caps annoying. I wasn't printing larger than 11x14, so resolution was more about bragging than usefulness.

I do miss the meter on the M7II though.

So I went with an rz and a mf folder for travel.

For a two lens setup, the Mamiya c330f has a similar package size and not too much heavier (1.5kg vs 1.9kg). You could pick this up and a folding rangefinder for travel and still have money left. Check out the Bessa II or the 1950s Ikontas.

Mamiya 6 folder up nicely and could be used for travel, though repairs are getting difficult.

If you recognize that it will still need a backpack for travel and don't mind how the lens draws, it is an amazing camera.

6. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That would be short sighted. The RZ 65 and 110 and 180 are awesome lenses. Plus you'll only get pennies on the dollar for RZ kit in today's market.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I certainly wouldn't sell both of my SLR systems before spending time with a new RF.

8. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If the 65 is an M-LA, contact me and I might be interested. Mine broke (dropped :sad: ) and I'm about to put in an insurance claim for it.

9. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    All good points. I did some traveling recently and I had some shots I took with my 645 that could have been amazing with my 67, at from the enlargement standpoint.

I just sold my Nikon D3 Friday so I am now 100% analog. Just looking to downsize a little to something that would serve a dual purpose in the MF world since I've been shooting much, much, much more 4x5 recently.

10. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a Fujifilm GA645zi and found it to be excellent. I have an RB and two Mamiya 645's also. The Fujifilm is perfect for travel.

11. olwick

olwick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you've been reading Ken Rockwell :smile:

12. robbalbrecht

robbalbrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats! I just traded in my Nikon digital gear for an RZ Pro II kit. I'm so happy to be 100% film now.

Will the RZ backs work on the Pro II? I might be interested in one if they do.

13. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mamiya 7 is great. If you can live without the close-up capability, and don't shoot long lenses, it's pretty hard to beat. I like the RZ better for portraits and long-shots but the M7 is much easier to handle and travel with. I'd say go for it.

14. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't do that. Homeowners and renters insurance is to mitigated against potential catastrophic losses. Once you file a petty claim such as this you are contemplating, your rates may be permanently affected and also you're put on a list that all other insurers see - and they too will raise your rates - or if you have just a few of these petty cliams - often they will deny you coverage in future. Don't even CALL you insurance company asking them if they will cover this petty loss. They will put you on said list.

Go on Ebay and get you a new 65LA from Sanpou camera, and DO check the glass closely upon recent.

15. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same here. All opinions about whether the Mamiya 7 or the other systems are "better" aside, this would be a question for me. Using a rangefinder is very different! NOT better or worse, just different; and not everyone takes to it.

I am in a similar situation to you. I have always coveted the Mamiya 7, and for very similar reasons. It would give me 6x7 for everything, and allow me to travel with that format. However, the economics have stopped me so far. Not only do I own and use the RB (not RZ) system and the 645, I also have a Mamiya C220 twin lens. I have 5 lenses each for the RB and the 645, and 6 lenses for the TLR! However, if I sold all of it, I could probably just buy a Mamiya 7 and one, or maybe two, lenses.

And, I also have a Fuji 645 "for travel" (sharpest lens I own), so I do know from RF vs. SLR; and I am shooting film less and less while traveling. So, my experience and advice may not be that helpful. Go back to what Matt King said! :cool:

16. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Matt King is right , middle format cameras are very special when you see the composition from top. Its a magical experience and I dont change it to anything. When you jump to the rangefinder , you will lose all this magic and fun side.
    If 7 have a ultra sharp and contrasty lens and if you cant view it live , you will end up with whats this.

I miss my Kiev 88 and 80/250 lenses and I dont change it to any camera. Ahh young fool , where was the internet 25 years ago !

17. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is something I've heard, however I live in Australia and not the USA. We have a much better regulatory framework here and our insurers don't get away with being nearly as petty and vindictive.

18. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1, I bought a very nice overhauled Rollei 3.5E thinking it would replace the Fuji. The Fuji is just too good! Anyone looking for a recently overhauled Rollei :smile: If I had the cash, though, the Mamiya 7 is my dream camera.

19. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If so, then that begs the obvious question: Why bother with insurance at all?

If you are expected to pay the premiums on time, but cannot even think about ever filing a legally honest and defensible claim, then why waste your money? Why would someone pay an insurance company for the privilege of assuming their risk? If they balk at keeping their end of the deal for an honest small claim, they'll be even more likely to to do so for honest, but more expensive, claims.

Ken

20. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Insurance in the USA, especially in California is legalized racket. It's a game. Insurance company's are happy to pay out your petty claim because they have now marked you as an undesirable, high risk customer. And they will and DO cancel these type of people.

Insurance is to guard against high dollar - sleep in the park now that you've lost it all -losses such as a total loss of home during fire, multi million dollar judgement against, etc.

That's what insurance is for. It is not your moral hazard, petty loss piggy bank.

This from painful life experience, not high horse.

21. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, i understand how you feel about your RZ and Mamiya 645 bodies, i really love to shoot with my RZ ProII a lot, but the weight and the battery killing the fun, so i bought Mamiya 7II but it doesn't work, i know the battery issue is still there, but the weight is way way different like day and night, i got used to heavy gear, but RZ is way too much heavy than normal, so Mamiya 7 fits my hands perfectly.

I was looking at Fuji GF670 as alternatives, this camera i can switch between 6x7 and 6x6, and it folds nicely from what i hear, and it is almost same size of Mamiya 7 or lighter, but it is rangefinder and not SLR body at the end and i don't want to spend another money on another body and not to use it much enough, so after long search and read i found that Mamiya 7II will be the one, just hope i can fix it one day and then i will keep shooting with it for long time.

22. smolk

smolk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You could always rent a Mamiya 7 for a day to see how you get on. On the other hand, they do keep their value, so you could also buy one.
    I recently fell for a Rolleiflex TLR 2.8, and was astonished by the fact that just that single camera seemed sufficient. It produces great results, and the format at 6x6 is great. But I still have a 645 system as well (Pentax though).
    Did consider the Mamiya 6 or 7 but its reportedly harsh bokeh has made me doubt. That may be something to consider. Sharpness of the 80mm lens is, they say, unrivalled.
    Still, I really love carrying just my Rolleiflex.