This addiction is consuming me!...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by trials2k, Jul 20, 2011.

1. trials2k

trials2k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ever since I picked up that Box Brownie in an antique store 4 years ago, I can't stop looking for cameras of interest in every antique/collectable store I pass...

Now owning just under 30 beautiful (to me) cameras, I can't get the idea of owning a Rolleiflex out of my mind. Even though I shoot with my Mamiya c330s with a full kit, I still very badly want a Rolleiflex.

Anyone else battling with similiar urges? (i bet you all are!)

2. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a big glass display case full of cameras I love for various reasons. Sometimes I get an odd one out and shoot some photos. My latest is a Pionyr - a plastic camera from Czechoslovakia with a very unique lens mount.
    Nothing wrong with this addiction so far as I'm concerned, and my Wife doesn't mind either.

Attached Files:

3. Lionel1972

Lionel1972 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had the same urge about the Rolleiflex until I bought mine. The quality, the history, the beauty, everything about owning a Rolleiflex is up to its legendary status. Just looking at Vivian Maier's work is an inspiration to use the Rolleiflex for me. I'd say it's a well founded urge. Next, Leica and Hasselblad...

4. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just like everyone should have a Box Brownie or ten, you should also have a Rolleiflex before you die. Give in to your instincts and grab a Rollei, even the old ones are cool if you can't afford that 3.5F. I'm no longer battling my urges, I think I have them all!

5. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The addiction mentality is understood by David Lyga who owns over 600 (six hundred) cameras, all 35mm. 'Nuff said about obsessions.

Let my warn you about something that just might assuage your lust for Rollei 120. Back in 1966, when I was 16, I was allowed to buy my first 'real' camera: a Minolta Autocord CDS brand new. I wanted the larger negative because 35mm was too inferior for me. I got beautiful prints but using the twin lens camera was not really easy (focusing, etc). But I was terribly naive and, besides, I was 'ahead' of the rest because of my huge negative. This mentality persisted until about 1976 when I took a close look at a friend's 35mm 8 X 10 print and was astounded with the quality. I bought a Canon AE-1 in 1978 and I can honestly say without reservation that the smaller format gave higher quality results. Why?

Certainly, the larger negative holds the potential for greater enlargability. But that is theory, not always practice. If you use slow film, have the camera upon a tripod, and work slowly, yes, in most cases. But what many fail to acknowledge is the fact that using a larger format necessitates using a higher f stop. A 'normal' lens on a medium format is about 80mm. This medium format's normal lens must be stopped down to, say, f8 in order to have the same depth of field as with a 35mm camera's 50mm 'normal' lens stopped down to merely f4. Thus, all things equal, one would have to use Tri-X with medium format to achieve the same flexibility as with using Plus-X on 35mm.

As far as I am concerned, using fast (ISO 400) film with medium format is counterproductive because the same enlargability can be achieved with using an ISO 100 film with 35mm. The only time there is a (potential) decided advantage with medium format is in using slow film (Pan F) in medium format. Doing so prevents 35mm from being able to match the quality because you are not going to find slower film than Pan F for normal usage. That is why I am solely a 35mm guy: the quality and precision are very advanced.

I am not trying to splash water upon noble desires, just trying to present the whole picture that sometimes is elbowed out by the romance of holding the larger negatve.- David Lyga

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011
  6. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've lost count on my collection....I like to use as many as I can, not just display them but they are lovely (and yes, I have a flex and a cord) I just recently shot with the rolleicord and waiting for the processed film to come back home (I don't do my own when color)....

7. Geo Corazon

Geo Corazon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    GAS.... (Gear Aquisition Syndrome), my wife says I got it baddd.

8. Peter de Groot

Peter de Groot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am still looking for an awesome cheap find of a graflex 4x5 camera. Until I have enough money to buy it at the prices they go for nowadays. But browsing through second hand shops or antique markets as fun when you have a purpose.

9. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Hasselblad satisfies my aesthetics, my ear, and my hands... and it is useful.

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Rolleiflex 2.8 which I got from my father after he passed away a number of years ago. It is a really great camera! Love those old cameras.

Jeff

11. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can understand the interest in collecting cameras (and most other things!) and I've one or two which I keep just for the fun of it. Otherwise I now try to restrict myself to gear which I will really use.

OTOH, I was fascinated by sub-min Minox as a kid, and bought three cameras and all the bits-and-pieces about 10 years ago. I've realised since that it was a rather expensive mistake, as I've never had time to use them....as I get older, it seems I've hardly enough spare time to keep up (and work on improving!) my 35mm, and occasional 120, shooting!

12. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot TMY2 film (400 speed) pretty exclusively in 120 format. It provides the detail and quality of slower films. The faster speed is useful in 120 so I can do more without a tripod, have small apertures, shoot at dusk, etc.. Top quality 400 speed film makes 120 format useful in more situations. TMY2 is highly enlargeable. Not everyone likes this film, but I've figured it out pretty good and think it's a nice option. Other people on the gallery here are doing great stuff with it too.

Technical comparisons aside, a TLR creates a different interaction with your subject if you are photographing people. I'm on the wrong side of the camera to understand completely, but I think it's a little more polite and genteel to bow your head toward the subject and look into the WLF's magnifying glass than to hide behind a normal 35mm camera.

I've got a cheap rolleiflex automat model with a tessar and I would also suggest its worth adding to your collection or at least trying out. The 3.5 tessar cameras aren't expensive like the planars and do a great job and are well built.

13. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used a Rolleicord in high school.

Then at various times in the intervening 25 or so years have used a Yashica C, Yashica A, Mamiya C330, Yashica D, and Ansco Speedex Rapid folder for Meduim format work for periods of more than a few months each. The C330 amd Speedex I presently have. A camera is just a tool. That said, the lightness of a nice simple TLR is appreciated after lugging larger gear for a day. I would consider trying to get a rent of or loan of one. The Yashicas stopped down and/or with a DIY hood are as capable, and a fraction of the price of th Rolleicord.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. trials2k

trials2k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ha ha, I too bought a large glass cabinet to display and keep all my cameras. Although they aren't just display, I also try to use them whenever I can, at the least I take them out and enjoy their greatness.
    The collection also isn't restricted to 35mm, I have cameras of a lot of formats. I am sure I will be collecting for the rest of my life too...

TLRs have to be my favorite though, there is something with looking down through the ground glass and holding such a beautiful camera and the way its controlled... ahhh :tongue:

16. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Read my sig. below! :whistling:

17. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "We go into the circle by night we are consumed by fire"

18. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Tell our contestant what he's won, Don Pardo! :wink:

Yes, we are consumed by fire as moths in a flame.

19. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I try really to hold the line on not acquiring cameras I won't use. It's not a perfect success---I've gotten a few doorstops in bottom-feeding eBay transactions, some of which have made lovely shelf queens---but it's a way to keep a modicum of restraint.

Really, I wouldn't want to get in the position of having more good "user" cameras than I could use; it seems unfair to the cameras. Good tools shouldn't be idled.

-NT

20. nanntonaku

nanntonaku Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    meh, its not all that bad,.... we could be spending the money on crack, hookers and booze.

which would probably make for some great photo ops....

:tongue:

21. derwent

derwent Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bit over two years now since I got plunged headlong into film photography again for the first time since I was a kid... Up to around 25 cameras now and all work except for a couple of chance purchases and a couple of instamatics.
    I have a Rolleicord which is my favorite camera I own. I would love a Flex though...
    Medium format kills 35mm in detail, tonality for mono, enlargement and more. And a medium format transparency is mind blowing...

Would love a Leica and a Hassy but I really want a large format now...

22. chioque

chioque Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any self respecting photographer should include "Owning and using a Rolleiflex TLR" in his/her bucket list :smile:

23. Len Middleton

Len Middleton Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There is a really slippery slope...

They have tried to isolated them on their own web site (Large Format Photography Forum), but I see many escape to here too!!

24. trials2k

trials2k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, a Rolleiflex is definitely high on the list. I feel like I should just wait and get a 2.8 when I get the funds together instead of settling on the 3.5 series...

25. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only keep the equipment I use regularly too,when my children were young I read a lot of child psychology books and apparently the collecting urge is caused by too early toilet training in childhood.:smile:

26. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must have been toilet trained by the age of six months then.... I've got a decent if small collection of vintage images (mostly daguerreotypes, tintypes and CDVs, with the odd albumen print tossed in for good measure), more camera stuff than I ought to (cameras range from 35mm and compact digital to 14x17 with most sizes in between represented (35mm rangefinder, 35mm slr, 2 1/4 square, 2 1/4 x 2 3/4, 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, 4x5, 5x7, 5x12, 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, 8x10, 11x14, 12x15, 14x17) and multiple lenses for each), a library of 1800+ books, and I used to collect coins and pens too.

In the camera collection department, I've got a jones on for a Nikon F with the non-metered prism. It's just such a classic, elegant-looking camera. Either that or a Canon F-1 (not the F-1N, which although a much more useful camera, is a lot uglier). I'd also like to get my 12x15 restored so it is workable - it has most of the required bits and pieces, but needs first and foremost a new bellows, and then some film holders to go with it.

To skip back a thought or two, while Mr. Lyga is entitled to his opinion about 35mm film, I would wholeheartedly disagree with his assessment of medium format. I've dragged my Hasselblad outfit (4 lenses- 50, 80, 120 and a Superwide, three backs, 500C/M body, meter, and film) across Spain and had no problems shooting hand-held and getting great shots. Even with faster films (mostly shooting Bergger BPF200 for b/w, Fuji Reala and NPH for color) I had wonderful enlargements - I've taken some of them up to 16x16 and grain is still imperceptible.