This hurts....

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by McFortner, May 13, 2010.

1. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just look at what somebody did to a poor GSN!

I can't imagine doing this to a wonderful camera like the GSN. I've got several that I'm waiting to have the funds to get repaired that I'd never butcher like this. :rolleyes:

Michael

2. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look on it as an organ donation.:smile:

3. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm...I have an e-p2 (my only d*g*cam, I swear!) and would love that lens for it :smile:

I agree though, it's a unfortunate for the Yashika and a repair is always the best option - hopefully the lens will live on for a long time. I also hope you can find those funds sometime soon.

At least the fellow knows fabulous glass when he sees it.

4. McFortner

McFortner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But if he was going to do it, at least to it to a film camera! That Yashica lasted longer than that d*g*t*l ever will....

5. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry, but it looks really cool.....but still naughty none the less.

6. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Japanexposures does this. At least they can convert Yashica lens to M-bayonett (if my memory serves me).

7. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remember that a lot of GSN bodies have problems; the "organ donation" analogy may be apt. And depending on what mount the lens is converted to, it may be usable on film cameras as well---but in any case it strikes me as a way to keep a good lens in service.

-NT

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know I have looked at these cameras with a modicum of interest, due at least in part to the fact that Olympus makes an adapter that permits using OM series lenses on them.

The hit you take due to the effective doubling of focal length makes it less than ideal. In addition, Olympus themselves recommend using only certain limited ranges of apertures with each OM lens.

9. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I sure could use a couple of those shutter blades to repair another "organ donor". He probably threw them out :sad:

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those are still a lot of interesting photos of an YASHICA Electro 35 GSN.
    (if one can stand surgery...)

11. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    MattKing,
    There are almost no limits to what you can slap onto the Olympus Pen D*g's with relatively decent results - I've seen many lovely, old cinematic lenses beautifully adapted to this camera and plan to try some out myself. Basically if you want it you can get it - and usually for pretty cheap. My next purchase (lens wise) for that one was designed for the Arriflex standard...

I drool now.

Alright, enough of my promotion of this camera - it's nice to be able to adapt lenses but I've also described in another thread that compared to the film cameras I've been working with of late it's still obviously a d*g* and therefore you have that pixel count limitation to work around...and I, personally, hate the way I end up working with 'non-film' cameras...it's not nearly as pleasant an experience so I end up rushing my compositions and the end results are what they are. Oh how sad it is in these modern times - with any luck I'll stop investing in this dead-end pursuit that will undoubtedly end up with some sort of electronics failure. I'm just happy to be able to take a mediocre 'cam' and mod the hell out of it...I also feel a lot less concerned about wrecking this thing since they're at least still in production and have a definite shelf life (I would have never been as gutsy with my film equipment.)

My bottom line: it's nice to see great lenses being used, but I'd rather they be used with film.