This is why lith printing is great.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Marco Buonocore, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Marco Buonocore

Marco Buonocore Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was printing this past Saturday with a colleague, Jim Hurtubise. I had came into a few boxes of old paper, and was running them through my usual test. I use a step wedge and make a grade 2 print, and then a grade 5 print. It lets me guage the contrast of the paper, as well as any base fogging. The paper was Forte Polygrade IV, which as you can see was fogged pretty badly. Almost a middle grey. I saw the results, and figured it was too far gone and chucked it in the garbage bin. Jim, not wanting to see any Forte go to waste, picked it out and said he'll try some lith with it. I made some cocky declaration along the lines of "if you want to waste your time with it, go nuts". Half an hour later he pulled this beautiful lith print out of the developer! I couldn't believe my eyes! Not only were the highlights a pretty clean white, but the dmax was significantly better as well. Never mind the beautiful image colour!

lith-is-great.jpg

So: the print on the left, exposed at grade 5 and developed in dektol for 2 min 30 s. The print on the right is developed in homebrew D85 lith developer.

The moral of this story: no paper is too far gone to lith print with. Don't throw it out, give it to a lith printer and let them make something beautiful with it.

2. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice story!

Unfortunately I've had bad luck with old paper, but this proves that it can work!

3. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some older paper are better than others. I like Forte Polygrade for lith a lot, but it's inconsistent from box to box, I have found. Some look very grainy, and others less so. When it works well it's a lovely paper for lith printing.

4. megzdad81

megzdad81 Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You have given me hope for what I thought was a badly fogged box of Sterling Lith Paper, not to mention several other boxes of fogged paper. Now I will have to fish through likely negatives ...

5. An Le-qun

An Le-qun Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ha! Every box of Sterling I've ever used has been fogged, and so far the only bad lith prints I've made with it have been my fault. If my experience is anything to go by, megzdad81, you're in for some real fun.
    A L-q