Thomas Joshua-Cooper.

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by Keith Tapscott., Jan 13, 2008.

1. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don`t know much about him, other than he works in 5x7, has had some books published, currently lives somewhere in Scotland and used to do workshops. I have read post here about TJC and I am wondering if he still does workshops? The only information I have is from what I have read on the photo-forums e.g., apug.

2. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I only have limited info, based on inviting him to talk at the Arena annual weekend seminar in the S.E. of England some years ago.
    I was told that he didn't travel outside Scotland, but I wrote to him anyway with an invitation. I sent him 2 personal letters but I had no reply.
    Tim

3. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keith, Thomas lives in Glasgow and works in the Glasgow School of Art where he is, I think, Professor of Photography. He has several books, I have three of them, Point of No Return, published in 2004, being the last one that I know of, I believe it is still available and can recommend it but have a look at it before you purchase because Tom's work is a bit of an aquired taste. The others that I have are Dreaming the Gokstadt and Between Dark and Dark, both long since out of print. Tom used to do one workshop each year at Inversnaid in Scotland but I don't think he has done that for several years. Even though he is a good friend of mine he agreed to do one workshop only for me many years ago. Tom is an inspirational teacher and if you see a workshop advertised I'd suggest that you book up immediately for there are many photographers waiting for that pleasure.

4. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tim, he never answers letters, emails and even telephone calls, one of his assistants does that. He is very difficult to catch by phone. The only reason that I can get to him is that I have his private darkroom telephone number so I have to hope he is in there when I call and he is prepared to answer it. A very private but interesting character.

5. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info Les, from what you have said, the workshop seems unlikely.

Cheers,

Keith.

6. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keith, have you looked at the Inversnaid programme; could he lecture there ?

7. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thomas is also a friend and mentor of mine...but that was many many years ago before he left the USA for Scotland and was teaching at Humboldt State University (late 70's/early 80's). And Les is correct, he does not answer letters.

Good luck in tracking him down. The best you might be able to do is to attend a talk, if he ever gives one, in relation to one of his shows.

Vaughn

8. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Les said. http://www.gsa.ac.uk/gsa.cfm?pid=103

9. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Les said.:smile: http://www.gsa.ac.uk/gsa.cfm?pid=103

10. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  11. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Vaughn, clearly you know Tom :smile: I will probably meet up with him sometime in the spring when I go to the College if he's there that is. I'll pass on your good wishes

12. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I would appreciate that! Tell him that I am still the photo tech for HSU and that someday I'll send him a carbon print of my three 3 10 year old boys.

Vaughn

13. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was lucky to see an exhibiton of his seascapes at the St Ives TATE a few years ago - all done on 10x8 IIRC and the prints were the size of a wall. Quite stunning in fact and very different from the norm. A guy well worth getting hold of, or getting to see, if you can.

Cheers,

Neil.

14. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read some where that he used to use an old 5x7 Camera and Kodak Plus-X film which AFAIK is no longer available in LF film-sheets. Perhaps he has moved on to the 8x10 format.

15. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    As far as I know he works with 5x7. Long before moving to Scotland he was considering 11x14...but on the advice of Ansel, he stayed with 5x7 (one of the deciding factors was depth of field...the longer lenses often required to cover 11x14 don't have much).

Vaughn

16. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To my knowledge Tom still uses his old 5 x 7 camera. I once took him to a workshop and he sat in the back seat of the car holding the camera, wrapped in the focussing cloth, on his knee. We travelled over 200 miles with Tom lovingly nursing his beloved 5 x 7 as described. He told me that when he travelled overseas by plane he carried the camera in the same manner. That was quite a few years ago, I wonder what he does these days with all the idiocy that takes place when checking in at airports.

17. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe the images I saw were from a 5x7 camera and not a 10x8. It was a while ago and my memory grows dim! In any event the quality showed through and many of them stayed with me to this day.

Cheers,

Neil.

18. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    TJC had a show in Santa Fe a few years ago and the prints were gorgeous.

19. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was lucky enough to do a workshop with him at Inversnaid in 2002-he must have mellowed because we were usually all climbing the wooden hill by 1 am....:D