Thornton-Pickard Shutter Repair leads?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Paddy, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Paddy

Paddy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently picked up a fairly functional Thornton-Pickard shutter. Everything's still working, even the various shutter speeds, but the material of the roller shutter is showing it's age (late 1890's ;~)) I was hoping someone might possibly have a lead on who/where I might have the roller blind material serviced/replaced.

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Paddy,

it's really not too difficult to replace it yourself. You need shutter curtain material from e.g. Microtools - get them to cut it in the size you need. And some glue - we use a Sicaflex type - a sharp knife and a little patience. If you want to know how to do this yourself, send us a pm, we might be able to guide your through the process.

4. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Here you go...

Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain is the man you should speak with. Google him and you'll find his phone number. He replaced the shutter in an old focal plane slr I have and the work he did is nothing short of amazing. He takes his time and you'll pay for the service, but he is a great repairman and a great source of knowledge.

W.

5. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Him, or else maybe Bert Saunders, who can be found on the graflex.org forum. He made us new stiffners for a 1A Graflex and they were cheap. He also seems to replace shutter curtains on a weekly basis. If you mail him via the forum, he's likely to respond very fast.

6. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Umm. Guys, I think the Thornton-Pickard shutter he's referring to is the tambour type, like a roll top desk, rather than a cloth curtain like typical focal plane shutters. These were usually mounted behind the lens like a Packard, and the above suggestions about using cloth to replace the curtains completely ignores the wood...

7. Paddy

Paddy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Donald, the shutter curtain is certainly a coated cloth material. In fact, it's very similar in function, in a very simple but effective way, to today's focal-plane shutters.

Thanks for the lead, Ineffablething. I've sent off an e-mail to Ken Ruth with a request for some more info, specific to this shuttersince he's worked on them before.