Those 35mm film cans

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ezwriter, Apr 15, 2012.

1. ezwriter

ezwriter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Those cool aluminum 35mm film cans are going for $5 each on ebay! We used to throw them away! Now they're all plastic.
    So now i'm wondering : should i save my old 120 film spools after putting on the dev reel? Save the 35mm opened film carts?
    save everything??

2-How come nobody puts 120 film in a can like 35mm plastic cans? They would be handy if you're in the outdoors, drop in creek,etc.

2. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I doubt the plastic cans will ever be worth much.

120 film on a PET base should be sold and kept in a plastic can to prevent light piping - Adox 120 film is certainly supplied in a plastic can.

3. Francis in VT

Francis in VT Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Years ago I used AGFA B&W which came in screw top cans but probably added to the cost so like all good things , it was stopped.

Francis in VT

4. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Adox CHS film comes in black plastic canisters. The polyester film base is prone to light piping so they recommend keeping the film in the canisters. I use the oldo nes to carry 120 in the field, before and after exposure. Some people sell the black cannisters without an Adox logo on the top, also.

6. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use old aluminium film tubs a lot for traveling and have one on each of my 35mm camera straps to hold the next roll of film - But $5.00 each is is a joke and the seller should be left with them unsold

I like the USBthingie inserted in a 35mm cassette and will make a couple one evening soon - It is far more polite than some of the places I have suggested digital images be inserted - Don't ask, just wince

7. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I save my black plastic cans from Ilford for storing bulk loaded films, as the cassette tops can sometimes pop off when you don't want them to. A fellow I worked with made exploding toys with them. And they're good for tiny screws and other little parts. The plastic cans for 120 can be had at Freestyle, my MF bag always has a few.

I could see buying a few of the aluminum cans as keepsakes, if I'd grown up with them, especially if they had the labels still on them.

8. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got hold of two such aluminum canisters when I collected miscellaneous equipment from someone who had passed away a while back. (no label)
    Really cool, albeit a little flimsy I think, very easy to create dents in the canisters.

Oh, 4 GB is a little small for a usb-unit the size of a 35mm cassette to be honest, if they were 32, 64 or 128 I would consider. (but cool idea)
    - my 64GB usb-stick is the same size as a regular usb-stick, so it should be no problem creating a high-capacity usb unit from a whole 35mm cassette. ^^

9. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have some of those Adox 120 canisters. They come in very handy at times.

10. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find all sorts of uses for old film cans, be they aluminum or plastic. They are great for small parts, etc. 120 cans are rare enough so that I would gather a collection for use with film, when I wanted better protection.

11. mikendawn

mikendawn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always ask for my 35mm cans back when I get my film developed at a lab. This, of course, is provided they DON'T rip the tops off them..
    Places like those minilabs that have the leader retrievers and cut the film off the spindle without opening.. This way I can reload them without issue.
    I want to try to make a 35mm USB Flash drive one of these days though :smile:

12. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a pal in archeology. and he asks for the spares I have every time we cross paths.

In his world there is nothing better for preserving and having some way to protect and catalog small artefacts than an empty 35mm film can.

13. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have hundreds of those 120 spools. Maybe I can Ebay them? I remember my uncle threw out my grandfather old cigarette tins before he met my aunt. She told him that they were worth some cash. Cigarettes, film, we all have our vices :wink:

14. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    back in the 70's Kodak aluminum film cans were good for stashing your...um...er...funny, I can't remember what we used to put in them...

15. M. Lointain

M. Lointain Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I built a Minty Amp guitar amp out of a 35mm bulk tin instead of using an Altoids tin. Sounds a lot better in the film tin and goes right in the gig bag.

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was given a pile of unexposed (still in shrink wrap bricks!) Agfa colour slide film that had come from a deceased person's freezer.

The film included paid processing, but the process was an Agfa proprietary process that hadn't been available for years.

The good thing though is that all of the cassettes were good quality with strong but removable clipped on caps, and each film was in a nice aluminum can.

The cassettes are perfect for bulk film. I nearly cried though as I removed and discarded all the film itself:sad:

17. ezwriter

ezwriter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Where can i get the 120 film cans? I've only seen a plastic one on ebay once and got outbid. They would be real handy in the mts.
    Is Tmax PET base? TriX? thx

18. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I make 120 sized containers by cutting the top off one 35mm can, the bottom off another and tape them together. Another (north american at least based) option is to make a habit of buying m&m's - the tube they come in is almost a perfect fit to store 120 in.

19. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    120 containers are harder to find than I'd like, but I still have dozens of metal 35 cans, in painted steel as well as aluminum. The old Kodak ones are color coded by film stock, purple tops for Plus X, etc.

20. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just buy some ADOX 120 film from Freestyle, it comes in those nice black plastic containers. The other posters are right, these containers are great for holding exposed film in your bag. I have a kodak Panoram #1 which winds the film somewhat loosely, so I usually unload the camera in a changing bag and put the exposed roll into the black plastic can. It is better than having fogged film.

21. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are a bit long ....

I've seen posts in the past that indicated that some candies (M & Ms?) are sold in tubes that work.

And of course, from Freestyle: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/8203813-Maco-120-Roll-Film-Container?cat_id=804

Or the economy model: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/8203814-Maco-120-Economy-Roll-Film-Container

Boy those Freestyle listings are hard to find!

23. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow cool containers! Maybe you can store 1/2 cigars in them :wink: