Those who need reading glasses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by cliveh, Jul 22, 2013.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Not sure if posted in the correct area of the forum, but thought I would mention that some years ago I needed reading glasses. Having recently bought a Zeiss Ikonta, I find it difficult to read the numbers of aperture and speed without reading glasses and not wanting to take glasses with me when walking round with a camera, I bought one of those small flat plastic magnifiers based on the Fresnel screen principle. Cutting this in half gives me a 1” square bit of plastic that I carry attached to the strap to read the numbers. I thought this tip may be useful info to others who need reading glasses.

2. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Clive,

I've been thinking about painting the shutter speed numbers on my M3 in color groups, sort of like the (flash sync) color groups on a Nikon F. Made going without glasses much easier when I was still using that camera. Even in Leica-land I don't think a shutter speed dial would be too expensive. The aperture markings I can still figure out, for now, from their shape.

Life stumbles on,
    s-a

3. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hear you! Why did they print them so small, and some of them with black on black! Your idea is a good one, I will give it a try.

4. whowantstoast

whowantstoast Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I need them for my meter, for the shutter speed, for the aperture, when winding my RH/10, for finding things in the bag, for finding the bag itself..... sigh. I actually keep a non-prescription pair in my bag and leave the good ones behind. This way I can beat them up, drop 'em, get them sweaty and not care. They also look a little like Ansel's glasses, and that's cool. I tried small magnifying sheets but I kept loosing them, and needed my glasses to hunt them down.

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wear glasses all the time, they have varifocal lenses, and I have no problems seeing at any distance.

6. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good point; I find that a pair of non-prescription reading glasses in my photo bag helps a lot. That way if I break or lose them it will be only $10.

7. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or 3 for $12 at Target. South of the border, that is.

8. mosport72

mosport72 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pair of Hoodnam glasses with varifocal lens so I can see all the small numbers, and see what I am taking a picture and then flip them up to focus. Buy the time I am ready it has got dark out an have to start over.

9. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With bifocals, Varilux, things are good. One problem I had was with "transitions" lenses. Out on a day that turned them into sunglasses, so to speak, when darkened it's impossible to see small dark numbers in lenses. Also in bright light but in a car on a nice day they don't turn dark enough. So clipon's are added.

Last eye exam my ophthalmologist took off the transitions so it's on and off with clipon's. He did say transitions would interfere with my photography. It does add a degree of interference. Noted.

Now for a Sub Category: Those who need hearing aids.
    All the shop work and other loud environments have worked me over. Now for the three grand.

10. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Curt,

As a younger man nail guns and Skil Saws worked me over too. I have a pair of fully-in-ear aids ($Big) paid for by my employer's insurance years after I had actually incurred the damage. Couple things:
    1. If your hearing loss is not recent, you'll have to learn "how" to hear again. This can take some time. 'Be patient' my hearing aid person told me.
    2. If loud noise damaged your hearing to a certain threshold the aids work by amplifying sound to some degree louder than that threshold. In my left ear that was 85dB. I thought it was crazy to blast my already damaged hearing with even louder noise so I stopped wearing them quite a while ago. Vanity also played a part too, I'm sure.

My hearing loss was in a rather narrow band of higher frequencies (the saws) and I can get by OK, but women's voices and sounds like 'H' often fall into that band and I don't hear them. My family is patient but it's a pain at times. Sometimes I think it's getting worse in my left but the right is pretty much that of a guy my age-also not pristine. The aids sit in the drawer and I'm hoping they find a drug that re-grows the hairs in my cochlea at that point where that saw sound impinged. Unlikely. You can do like me and be grateful you have your eyes: Looking at my family is often better than listening to them. :wink:

Good luck and hope this helps,
    s-wha'?-a

11. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks I appreciate it,

Mine is like an inverted bell curve. The mid range is at the bottom of the 'U' shaped curve so it is missing in a diminishing way. The biggest problem is in noisy places. I've always been pretty good at contextual understanding so if I hear the whole sentence or paragraph I can fill in a lost word. The expensive models have built in Bluetooth so my iPhone and anything else Bluetooth would be wireless. It's been a year so I need to get them. Both ears are the same, interestingly enough. There's an app for that! Iphone had an app called Sound Check. I downloaded it and remarkably the results were the same as the hearing test. It's good for those who want to know but font want to go get it checked. There are two negative aspects to hearing aids, first is the cost, second is vanity or stigma.

12. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Now we're talking MY world. I've always been near-sighted and never had any problem with reading even tiny print - until now when the cataracts are developing. I'm in line for laser surgery on both eyes to have new lenses installed (my wife is having that done as we speak and is delighted with results so far, 20-20 in the first eye, about a 30-minute operation).

Before I retired in January 2007, my hearing was getting so bad, even with hearing aids, that the company paid for a special telephone (tone control + amplifier) that included a "neck loop" plugged into the phone so that when the hearing aids were set to the telecoil mode they could pick up the phone signal by induction. My "word discrimination" was down to 20% in each ear without the hearing aids at that point. This was not due to loud noise damage, just age. The loss of hearing increased almost by the day and got to where I couldn't make out what my wife was saying across the dinner table, a quiet environment. A new set of hearing aids helped for a while, but then my audiologist said she could no longer help me with hearing aids, so she recommended certain people by name at the University of Washington Medical Center who were researching a hybrid cochlear implant under monitoring by the FDA. It's called hybrid due to the implant working in conjunction with an in-the-ear canal standard type of hearing aid. I had it done for my left ear and kept the hearing aid in my right ear. This combination has boosted my hearing from the 20% level to about 90%. The best part is that Medicare paid for nearly the total cost - in the six figures, and my Medicare Supplement plan picked up 80% of what was left, so it only cost me about $600 including the year's worth of testing after the implant. Glad I had it done, because there's no telling what might happen with Medicare coverage in the future.

13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I graduated from the University of Washington School of Medicine, Department of Radiation Therapy as a Radiation Therapist. An implant is the hope of many people with profound hearing losses I've talked with. I would consider it. As a Vietnam Veteran I can apply to the VA in Seattle, another hospital I trained at. Or just take three grand from my retirement and go to Costco! I'm eligible for Medicare but I'm on my wife's insurance. It's from a hospital plan, you know, costs a lot and covers little. I'll have to do something soon, what?, what?, what?, you only get one, more than one "what?" tends to piss people off. Ever go through a drive up window and a teenage girl blasts out at Mach 5? What?, what?...

14. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Hi Silver0,

Do you have a link for that hybrid implant? It could really help my wife.

Thanks!

15. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bill, email sent. Not sure if offices are open on the weekend, but you can try.
    Best wishes.

16. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Thank you, Sir.

17. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like flip up magnifying lenses from Fisherman's Eyewear. Since I use single vision glasses these work well for making adjustments to large format cameras, rough focusing on the ground glass, and other tasks. I can flip them up and have normal vision. At work they are handy when I have to work in the network closet or do other fine hardware operations.

At the moment I can still hear everything I want to hear...