Those who used to shoot APX 100, what do you shoot now?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by dhkirby, Apr 2, 2013.

1. dhkirby

dhkirby Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey guys,
    So before they were discontinued I used to shoot a ton of Agfa APX 100 and 400. The 100 speed remains to this day my favorite film. I was luck enough to have bought a ton of it right before it stopped being available (by chance, actually -- I didn't know that they had stopped making it until later). Once I learned I couldn't get any more I started rationing it as best I could as I've been searching for a replacement. Now I'm down to two 36-exposure APX 100 rolls and one roll of the 400. I've started using HP5+ a lot for ISO 400 and I really love it, more than the APX 400 actually, but I haven't found a 100 speed that I like yet. I really miss the tones of the old Agfa, like the ones I got in the picture I attached. So I guess that the question is: what 35mm, 100 speed film can you recommend that might get me similar results? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sometimes expose APX100, from the stock in my freezer (8x10 format). I still have some APX 25, too.
    I shoot guns. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    FP4+ and HP5+_

4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FP4+, Acros and even Tmax 100. None will be identical but tweaking with different exposure and development and you'll get some good results.

5. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh and some might recommend the "new" Silvermax. I suspect it is APX100. Expensive though and sold out a lot. Just go Acros.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Initially Tmax 100 but when availability became difficult (while in Turkey/South America) i switched to Delta 100.

Ian

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    After Agfa made its announcement, I immediately bought four 100-foot spools each of APX100 and APX400. So, I still shoot with it.

A while back, Freestyle had what I believed to be rebadged APX400. I bought 30 rolls.

Lately, I've been using the Adox films. And I always have my other favorites: Ilford Pan F and FP4.

As well, Kodak did a nice job when it reformulated its TMax 100 and 400 emulsions.

8. loman

loman Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    In Denmark you can still get original batches of apx100. It's the only film I use in 35mm these days.

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's possible you'll need to use a different developer to get results like you're used to with APX100, when using non-Agfa films. It might be that a different film-developer combination might give you results more to your liking than you're getting with whatever developer you're using now.

I have a great fondness for APX100, Plus-X and FP4 Plus all, but only one is still with us so it's obvious which one I shoot. I develop mine in PMK 1:2:100.

Have you tried Neopan SS? It's ISO 100 also. I'm not sure of its production future, though.

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    APX 100 is still available.

11. pmller

pmller Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Internationally you can get it on macodirect.de and assume in other places as well, they ship more or less globaly. As far as the 400 speed is concerned I am so for very happy with the Rollei Retro 400S which is also made by the people who used to produce the agfa films.

/Bought some new rolls on ebay, there are also some retailers over there. So it should really be no problem to get a hand on that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  12. graubär

graubär Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is still made and available as 135 rolls. In Europe by macophoto ans elsewhere. One should be able to find it also in other online stores.

13. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    APX 100 is certainly available in the UK, made in Germany by Lupus Imaging and Media GmbH.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes and no only in 35mm, some of us like to use the same film in all formats. In addition it's not available world wide over a counter, unlike Ilford and Foma films.

Ian

16. dhkirby

dhkirby Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow. Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm in the US so I hadn't looked into European suppliers. Great news that I can order some internationally. I have mixed feelings about T-Max. When I use it I don't find that I get enough of a difference between similar shades, but I've really liked what I've seen other people do with it. What developer do you all find that it works best with, in terms of contrast? And what can you guys tell me about Acros 100? I started learning using mostly Neopan SS but as I recall it was grainier and the darker shades didn't come out as rich. That was most likely just because I didn't have any experience at the time and was just developing everything in 1:1 D76 using T-Max times I got from an old Kodak darkroom book my dad passed down to me from god knows when, so I've been meaning to give Fuji another try but I just haven't yet. What's Acros like?

17. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I switched to 120 Acros and like it better than 120 APX 100. To me it has finer grain, smoother tonality, much better reciprocity non failure. Using Acros with dilute developers or high acutance developers I get less noticeable edge affects.
    Dennis

18. Koni Kowa

Koni Kowa Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Exactly.
    The Agfaphoto APX 100 (under licence of Agfa) is my favorite film, beside Kodak Tri-X.

8510290128_f6825cdf73_c.jpg 8257037789_ddcbcb79b9.jpg 8264769903_118b1f5901.jpg 8510407048_cecc57347a.jpg 8238282534_683d33c362.jpg 8238219156_533e37263f.jpg 8261599977_6746fe8d3a_z.jpg

You should at least give it a try.
    :wink:

19. PaulMD

PaulMD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Acros is great. I'm not a big TMax or Delta fan, but I do love Acros dearly. It's super-fine-grained and very high-resolution. If you want a traditional-ish negative you can do EI100 and Rodinal 1:50 for 18m, or use the magic stand-develop recipe of Rodinal 1:100 for 1 hour. Acros has so little grain that Rodinal is still smooth, plus you get actuance boost. Additionally, the best reciprocity failure of any film I'm aware of. Off the top of my head, I think it's +0 up to a minute and +1 up to 1000 seconds, which means it's usually the fastest effective film for long exposures.

I basically keep two film stocks around, Tri-X for when I want speed, pushing, or grain, and Acros for everything else.

20. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To the OP
    This thread would be better served on the B&W forum, not here on the 35mm cameras forum.

So, what is the APX 100 you see around these days?
    Agfaphoto APX 100 is the remains of a 2005 Agfa master roll that has been frozen. Last year, Lupus Imaging (who is the distributor, it doesn't make any actual products) sent the remaining master roll to be slit, spooled and finished. All the stock you see today when it is finished, that's it. No more APX 100 is available.
    BTW, the reason you only see 35mm stock is due to the film base thickness is only suitable for that format.

"Silvermax is APX 100"
    No sir, it isn't. Its formula is based on the APX 100, but it is new material as ADOX have said in this forum when it was introduced.

21. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the first time I come across this information of the last batch being converted. (Though it is plausible.)

22. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Info comes from a Dutch retailer, Fotohuis: "Last master rolls from 2004/2005 are used up by Lupus / Agfa Photo so i expect it is just a matter of time when this film is running out completely."

23. Bundesphotograph

Bundesphotograph Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  24. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No it'll be similar to the EKKE 100 film sold as Adox CHS100 by Fotoimpex.

Ian

25. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Mirko of Fotoimpex said some time ago that the volume of APX 100 left was why they trialled a replacement for APX 400 first, and this coincides with the timesacle he mentioned.

Ian

26. Rolfe Tessem

Rolfe Tessem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    APX-100 is 2.62 Euro per 135 roll in 100 roll quantity. In the US, you really need to order a quantity for the shipping cost to make sense.

I have 200+ rolls in my freezer and it still seems to be available from http://www.macodirect.de

It doesn't really have any direct analogue, but when it runs out either FP4+ or Acros will become the replacement for me.