Three negative color camera for dye transfer process.

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Paul Goutiere, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I visited a photographer in Kitchener Ontario (Canada) about 1968. He did a lot of dye transfer and large format photography in his studio. Mainly
    he did things like advertising and catalog photos.

There was this camera, in the studio, set up on a tripod. A strange looking affair that took three 4x5 B&W negatives.

Does anyone know the camera I'm referring too? It looked fairly modern, some metal and black leather.

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you....yes! I'm pretty sure it was the "Leroychrome", but this was 45 years ago. It was used in his dye transfer process and he may have sent the negs to a printer as well.

5. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Both Devin and Curtis manufactured tricolor sheet film cameras. These turn up for sale from
    time to time but are quite tedious to refurbish. A few people still use them. The best color inkjet prints I have ever seen were scanned from old tricolor separation negatives, originally intended for either dye transfer or carbro. The reason they now have to be printed this way is that the originals were on acetate film, which is not dimensionally stable, so the negs are no longer exactly the same size, and had to be re-registered in PS. If the film base had been polyester, they could be used as is.
    Tricolor cameras could also be hypothetically made on a beam-splitter prism premise, the way big
    Technicolor movie cameras operated. For studio still-life work, you can simply make three sequential
    exposures through red, green, and blue filters, provided you can maintain perfect register.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Miethe was not and advocator of such a camera at all, due to technical reasons. For his work he used his automated successive-exposure camera without beamsplitting.

7. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agx you might be right but the cameras use the miethe system and are called Dr Miethe's Dreifarben-Kamera and were build by Bermpohl after Miethe's design.

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Miethe had seemingly designed several beam-splitter simultaneous-exposure cameras.
    But still to me the "Miethe-System" is made up by the use of his successive-exposure camera. In many of his photographs one can see the time-parallax. This camera was also built by Bermpohl.

Literature is contradictive about dates (would have to check at original sources), so even cameras might be mixed up. But it is the successive-exposure system that was favoured by Miethe.

And is that system that Prokudin-Gorski took over from Miethe.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  9. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    But was the original camera specifically in question made in Europe or the US? The combination
    of metal and leather on it is reminiscent of a Curtis or maybe Devin. These used semi-silvered mirrors
    (pellicles) and allowed a simultaneous exposure of all three sheets of film.

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I know there is only one 3-colour simultaneous-exposure that looks quite modern and is of 4x5 format: Vivex 2

Black metal, but... no leather.