three nikons, same fault!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by RalphLambrecht, Jul 7, 2012.

1. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    this puzzles me... i have three nikons with the same mfault! two fms and one nikon afehave their film advance lever and the shutter release stuck ,and i don't know how to free them up.any ideas before they go to expensive repair?

2. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know if used these cameras have been used with a motor, but it is possible to jam the FM if a motor is mounted or unmounted incorrectly; I can't remember the exact sequence, but I did it a couple times myself back when I owned an FM. I assume the FE is similar. I think you can clear that type of jam by touching a coin to the motor contacts.

3. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Recently I bought used F3 that releases shutter on the last steps of film winding. Sometimes it runs whole 36 ex.roll with out problem, sometimes it happens 10 or 20 frames in the row??? Engaging multiple exposure lever helps it to start functioning OK, but I still can't figure out what is the problem. It's also very hard to figure out by repair guy. It was already in service but he could't pinpoint where is the problem.

4. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pop open the bottom and see if you can prod a little and find a release lever. Usually that works with jammed cameras.

Sometimes it can also be the camera stuck in rewind position. Usually the same area has a release for that as well.

The fms should free up, if the other has an electronically controlled shutter there is a chance the magnets have screwed up as well.

Try it out, I have fixed many many cameras by opening up the bottom an tinkering a bit.

5. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    nikon.jpg

Ralph , have a look at that firing pin , it releases the shutter from the bottom placed pin. May be it helps to recover one of your camera.

Good luck,

Umut

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ralph, I have no hints or advise, but since these are the only three Nikon plate cameras in the entire universe, I hope you get them working!:wink::smile:

7. Larry H-L

Larry H-L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sometimes the vertical travel shutter on these gets hung up. It usually happens when you try to advance the camera too quickly.

You can try this at your own risk... But it has worked for me several times.

Take the lens off the camera. Grasp camera in one hand, and quickly and really crisply slam the camera into the palm of your opposite hand, base plate down into your hand.

You have to do this pretty firmly (but not so hard as to cause pain to your open hand).

Repeat a couple of times until you hear the shutter make a sound liked it has closed.

Good luck. On the FE, make sure the battery is good.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ahhh, that's the problem--trying to shoot plates in a Nikon, and you're surprised it's giving you film advance problems.

Well, I guess we can move this thread to the 35mm forum.

9. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also check the cocking lever... that tends to jam.

And as larry sez: make sure the FE battery is good.

10. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i tinkered with everything related to the film advance mechanism, and they are all working again.... for now.

11. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to hear, many times they jam if advancing too hard/roughly but its a very easy DIY fix. Its also good to see if the area under the bottom plate is clean. Some cameras with lost motor drive covers can get dirty/linty. Keep in mind also to check if it is over lubed if its been opened by someone else in the past. Too much grease is a bad thing.

12. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's my guess that these bodies have been used with the older MD11 motordrive, which had no automatic power cut off, like the later MD12 had. Thus connecting/disconnecting the MD11, could upset the shutter mechanism, causing the odd jam.