Tiffen's Glass Filters, how do they make them?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Goza, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Goza

Goza Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Tiffen makes the very expensive 6 x 6 inch glass filters for motion picture cinematography.

The glass is flawless and the color uniform.

Does anyone know how they make these?

2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If they are glass , they are buying the colored glass from schott , hoya or other filter glass maker.
    And there are plastic resin ones , they are made from a widely known plastic.
    If you want to make your filter , choose plastic technology and research it. At tiffen website , there are the chemical name.
    There is also software tiffen filters , you can download from torrent , try mininova and microtorrent.
    If there is specific colors at your mind , contact with schott , may be thay can be cheaper than tiffen ?

U.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tiffen filters as I understand it are glass/gel/glass sandwiches in general. B+W and Heliopan are dyed in the mass, which is generally more desirable than a glass sandwich, if you want filters that last a long time. In Hollywood, durability isn't so important, because new filters are a relatively small part of the overall budget.

4. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I saw at american cinematographer , there was big light source filters. There were tens of different colors come in a catalog like pantone or printing press paper selection catalog.
    Go to gigapedia.com and search american cinematographer in database. After finding the issue , select links and download.
    I found JAN 2009 .
    http://gigapedia.com/items/255488/american-cinematographer---january-2009
    click on links and download.
    May be there is cheaper gel filters or you like light source filters.

Best ,

U.