Tim Hursley New Orleans ULF

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by wfwhitaker, Sep 12, 2006.

1. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last month's (August '06) issue of Smithsonian magazine featured a pinhole photograph of post-Katrina New Orleans by Tim Hursley. The photograph is in color. An inset photograph shows Hursley standing by what looks to be an 8x20 Korona. I wonder what film he used... (color in 8x20??) The image is very effective. Unfortunately there was only one image; I would love to see more.

2. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw that myself--I wasn't impressed by the image but more the camera--I just didn't care for the image in color----kinda like an enlargement of a very soft image--I'd have preferred B&W----actually i'd have preferred a banquet camera using a lens and film !

3. Dorothy Blum Cooper

Dorothy Blum Cooper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd have preferred a photographer from the area who knew what to actually shoot. It gets old seeing these 'fly ins' from all over the world attempting to tell a story from the perspective of a spectator (which most are). Too bad they didn't use one of Sam's images. He lived it. Their loss!!!

More than my .02 cents worth. :wink:

Edited to say...PLEASE don't take this as an attack on the initial post/post-er or the respone above. Just more of a 'comment' for the editors who aren't capitalizing on the resources that were already there in Louisiana (and could sure use the job/income!!!)

4. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, fair enough. I must admit I was more interested in the fact that ULF was getting some coverage in the nearly-mainstream press. I debated putting this in the ULF forum for that reason. I agree that a home team photographer holds a certain legitimacy that an import cannot. However, who am I to question anyone's vision, be they native or not? I don't mean to be insensitive to either camp. In my defense, I claim both Katrina-fatigue and 9/11-fatigue thanks mostly to the Warholian repetition of images and stories from both in the news media.

5. Dorothy Blum Cooper

Dorothy Blum Cooper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also known as "Katrina'd out!!"

6. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I´m just glad I was able to pass the 9-11 anniversary with minimal reminders. Don´t need more- I lived it at the Pentagon that day. Even down here in Argentina, I had to keep the TV news off as the BBC World service had transformed itself into an All- 9/11, All The Time channel, and Argentine news was not much better.