Time to refurbish a Speed Graphic...but where to go?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by arizonafilm, Dec 19, 2011.

1. arizonafilm

arizonafilm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a Speed Graphic set-up that's well used, but cared for. It's time to have it overhauled, beyond just a CLA. Anyone have any happy stories and recommendations about where and who the best firm might be that can do this in a reasonable amount of time? Conversely, it might be a good idea to know where NOT to send it.

Now, I know public postings of opinions about our fellow film junkies and thier craft can be misconstrued on occasion- especially those which a paid service has been rendered, but at the moment I cannot think of a more suitable manner to form a decision on where to send the camera except by getting the opinions of you fine folks!

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had good interactions with Steve Choi, at Steve's Camera Repair in Culver City CA. He has a web site that shows him repairing a Speed Graphic. Any work I've had him do has been top notch and didn't take long.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contact Bert Saunders at graflex.org. He is a retired Graflex/Graphic repairman who taught and coached me through repairing a shutter via email.

Steve

4. jelecroy

jelecroy Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think I have repair manuals for that camera. PM if you're interested, and I can see about scanning them.
    Jerry

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought two Speeed Graphic's off ebay about 5 years ago sold together as parts to rebuild one good one. The seller didn't add that one was a pre-Anniversary the other a Pacemaker - no parts are interchaneable but they were cheap :D.

Both cameras were remarkably easy to restore although the whole shutter assembly was missing on the Pacemaker. The shutter on the pre-Anniversary was rebuilt, it's all very logical. It was only after I'd finished I came across the Service manual and also Thomas Tomosy's book Restoring Classic Cameras, both might have saved me time figuring out how the shutter worked but I wouldn't have learnt as much.

Ian

6. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

When the Folmer-Graflex Corporation closed their Western Division repair center, Fred Lustig was the eventual and current owner of their remaining Speed/Crown Graphic parts stock. He is well known as someone for serious work on a Speed or Crown Graphic.

Fred Lustig
    4790 Caughlin Pkwy #433
    Reno, NV 89509
    phone (775) 746-0111 (Pacific time zone, daytime only)

It looks like you have a selection of people from which to choose.

7. arizonafilm

arizonafilm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all who replied. With your collective help, I will place the camera in the proper care!