Time to Stock up Ilford Film (Pan-F)?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by bwfans, Sep 9, 2004.

1. bwfans

bwfans Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an opptunity to buy Ilford Pan-F b&w film 35mm 100Ft rolls in a good price. I have just checked the price in New York area. B&H, Focus camera and Calumet are already out of stock for this film. Both Adorama and Unique are asking $40 a roll. Usually this film should be in around $30 per roll when it is available.

The good thing is if I buy a lot I can get around $15 a roll. The problem is those films are dated 2005. I wonder if Pan-F (ISO 50) can be kept for a few years in cold storage and still usable, and if (the price wise) it is a good deal.

The reason I choose to stock Ilford film is, clearly, Ilford b&w film division is not in a good shape and is for sale. The reason I choose to get Pan-f is because it is the current slowest traditional b&w film in the market. Slow films are always the first one on film industry's discontinue/kill list when there is any profit related issue (think about Ilford!). Even there is no profit concerns slow films are always the targets for upgrading to a higher ISO speed :sad:. On B&W side we already saw Agfa APX25 and recently Kodak TechPan as examples of being discontinued. On color side there are too many. Kodak Royal Gold 25, Kodak Ektar 25, and Konica Impresa 50 were killed a while ago. Agfa Ultra 50 and recently Fuji Velvia 50 are all went into history because of the "upgrade".

Correction: Pan-F 50 is the slowest B&W film in Big 5: Kodak, Fujifilm, Ilford, Agfa, and Konica. Velvia 50 is not discontinued yet but could be soon if 100F is widely accepted.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2004
  2. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Better buy it before I do. One of the last truly great films in existence.

3. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Freestylephoto.biz has Pan-F+ at $27.99. You could call to check stock.

The Adorama site shows it at $25.50, so you could buy it on their site.

Actually, having these stores out of stock is a good sign. It tells Ilford that customers want this product.

I would only buy the short dated film if you plan to use it within a year or so. Since you can probably find some stock with an expiration farther out, it doesn't make sense to me to cheap out.

Charlie

4. bwfans

bwfans Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    c6h6o3: if anyone need this film I can probably help.

Yesterday I saw a post from Ilford's David Carper. He says low speed Ilford B&W film can be cold stored (or freezed?) and used without a problem for about 5-7 years. This is enough time for me to make final decision if I should manufacture my own B&W film if I still want to use the wet film or switch to digital :smile:.

5. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With all this film going out of stock and being discontinued I'm tempted going the digi-way. Sorry, but I really hate being paranoid if my favourites will be gone.

I made some darn nice monochrome with Nikon D70 this weekend...I really hate the fact that I'm thinking 'bout changing!

6. lpacilio

lpacilio Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford Film & Paper

There seems to be a bit of a panic brewing.

My dealer called Ilford in New Jersey last week and was told it was business as usual. He placed his usual order for a range film, paper and chemistry and lo and behold, here it is this week.

Maybe folks are getting their undies in a bunch for no good reason.

7. bmac

bmac Member

That doesn't sound like this group.. oh yeah it does... :tongue:

8. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been told by a major photo dealer in NC that Ilford claims business as usual and nothing is going to change.

9. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just hope Ken Lay is not working for Ilford now.

10. bwfans

bwfans Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What else do we expect Ilford to tell? To sell their B&W film business they have to tell everyone the business is as usual.

Is it possible after trimming 50% head counts? Really, "as usual"?

11. DKT

DKT Member

just curious--but what dealer in NC?

12. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not ashamed to admit I'm already stocking up on Pan F and FP4+ ....... and errrrrm yep Rodinal :wink:

13. bwfans

bwfans Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By now I stocked Pan-f on 35mm and 120. FP4 and HP5 on 4x5. Should be good for a while.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    IRM 4-ever!

16. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Morton I'm sure you have a built in 6th sense for when anyone uses the word RODINAL, my new Sig going to drive you crazy LOL

17. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You are right, TP!

I have bought 5 bottles recently. Just to be sure that I have enough for some time...And when my paycheck is arriving I will stock up on Pan F and Delta 100 + a little Delta 3200 (which I like for concerts, but that Rodinal not copes that well with though).

Viva Rodinal!

Morten!

18. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with you on Delta 3200 as well but still have to give it a try in Rodinal, any suggestions on times for Rodinal 1+50 so I can see what it looks like?

"Viva Rodinal!" Seconded!!

19. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have used it with Rodinal 1+25 for 18 minutes and still had thin negs. So 1+50 I don't even think about...But dev. time would probably be 30 minutes or more...I use HC-110 and T-Max with it. T-Max for 3200 and up and of course when I'm pushing it to 12500 or 25000 and HC-110 for 1600, 3200 and maybe 6400. Anyone who would recommend Microphen?

Rodinal for anything below 200 ISO...That's my favourite!

Morten

20. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So far I have always used DD-X for Delta 3200 which gives acceptable results and is good for dare I mention film scanning to the D word lol. Would love to try Delta 3200 for some good old sharp grain for the occasional use :smile:

21. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Efke 25 would hold this distinction, wouldn't it?

22. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    how are you folks developing Pan F+ ? Specificlly I am looking for dev times.

23. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David,

Try this thread that got me hooked on Rodinal ..... here comes Morten :D LOL

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7907

Tony

24. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Don't be too worried about Rodinal becoming unavailable, since the formula is published.

Although stocking up on Ilford film may be a bit premature, at least the sales spike might be enough to woo a suitor for the company!

Charlie

25. bwfans

bwfans Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If no one stocks up then Ilford film is really dead. There is a real need for the spike for Ilford to get a buyer.

Without a buyer what do you think Ilford will do to their B&W film production line?

A short sightness will lead to the conclusion of premature buying, but look further it is not. If everyone very coolly standing on the shore, holding on the purchase then your dearly Ilford films will be very maturely dead.

26. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    "The reason I choose to get Pan-f is because it is the current slowest traditional b&w film in the market."

Really? What about Efke 25?