Tin Can Kodachrome

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Marvin, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Marvin

Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just wonder how many remember when you got Kodak 35mm film in those little tin cans. I think they were color coded and I may still have one somewhere.
    Marvin

2. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, can't really put dates on them, but they were common in the 1960s. I'm thinking the typical Kodachrome was yellow with a red top, but there were other colors -- maybe blue tops for early Ektachrome -- 'fraid I didn't file that data reliably. :D Ansco had stuff in a shiny aluminum can. I always liked the idea that metal cans were utterly light proof for carting exposed rolls around. Whereas over the last decade or two, the cans became black plastic and now pretty much translucent plastic, to me the latter seems needlessly risky.

3. Marvin

Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes I think the cans were more light tight than what we have today and they had a seal under the screw on cap. I think towards the end of their run Kodak stopped painting them and they were just bare metal. Back then each roll came with an exposure scale printed and packed with the film. I did not have a light meter so I just set the camera according to the chart.

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember them.
    Don't look at the prices they fetch on ebay though!:rolleyes:

5. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's how I remember them--when I first started buying film in the early-mid 70s, I think that was the standard package. I used mostly Plus-X and Tri-X then. I learned to expose from those little data sheets, too.

6. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Yes, I have one here yet that has a plain aluminum can and a yellow top. I started shooting various slide films in 1958, so I'd be hard-pressed to put a date on the can. I can't even remember when the transition to plastic occurred.

7. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I probably have 15 or 20 of them in 35mm and a half dozen in 120. Great little cans and I use them all the time.

8. panchro-press

panchro-press Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll take a wack at the colours. All had yellow cans. These are top colours:
    Brown-Panatomic-X
    Purple-Plus-X
    Green-Tri-X

I think.

-30-

9. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes...I saw those prices and remembered the number which my Dad threw out, used to keep screws in, gave to we kids to play with, etc.!

I'm now slowly trying to collect a set in reasonable quality! It would be interesting to have a definitive list of the colors....I'm sure that panchro-press is right with those three, as each Kodak film has its own "trade-mark" color, which has carried forward even into present-day packaging

10. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 828 can is plain metal, the postal pouch red with a white address label, the film needs processing :D

Ian

12. Muihlinn

Muihlinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. tokam

tokam Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking at a can containing an exposed roll of Kodacolor-X, (CX 135-20). Probably 1970 or thereabouts. The can body is plain alloy with embossed Kodak signage and the top is yellow. The film cartridge is yellow, including the end caps, with black printing. The film is marked Kodak Limited London.

14. LaGrassa

LaGrassa Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not a film can, but I have a booklet entitled Kodachrome, Photography in Color published by the Eastman Kodak Company Rochester NY, cover price 25 cents. Not sure of the publication date, but 12-39 appears on the spec sheets in the back. The booklet covers a wide range of topics.

Attached Files: