Tiny droplets? on inside lens element

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ian David, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greetings
    Interested in any ideas anyone may have on the following...
    I happened to have a close look through the barrel of my Hasselblad 50 today when I noticed a large number (couple of hundred?) of what look like tiny droplets on one of the inside elements. It is not dust. It does not look like condensation, as the individual 'droplets' are distinct and quite evenly spaced all over the element with clear space in between them. Nor does it look like fungus. I have heard of oil turning up on lens elements, but am not sure what that would look like.
    This is not an old lens - about 7 years old I'd say.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Ian

2. danegermouse

danegermouse Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i have a similar thing on some of my enlarger lenses and i have tried long term sunlight exposure (that usually works for fungus) but has no effect on this particular affliction. as yet i have not noticed any major impact on image quality but i still have no idea what it is or where it came from. curious...

3. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oil condensation perhaps?

4. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello Ian,
    I had this effect in the Xenar lens of a Rolleicord and the service man guessed that the previous owner had attempted to get a slow working shutter free by injection of some solvent instead of a CLA to save money. This solvent formed a condensate on the lens surface or splashed onto it.