tiny mounting problem

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Jarvman, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some 20x30cm prints on 12x16" paper and I want to mount them to 40x50cm (16x20") window mounts to match the 8x8" prints I have matted to 16x20". Only problem is this leaves me with an even 4" border all the way round. Ideally the border would be a third bigger at the bottom, but I'm stubborn about making the mount any bigger. I'd like the mountboard to remain 16x20" or another conventional paper size larger than 12x16". Any way of getting round this? Could people explore other options with me. Would you be bothered about having an even border all around or do you feel the extra depth below the print is needed visually? How do you mount your 20x30cm prints, that's if you print to this size. Cheers for any input.

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I would only raise the print a half inch above center. It's not a lot, but it will keep it from looking low and still provide a good border on top.

3. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is devilishly difficult for me to follow your description - drawings or photos would help.

>Would you be bothered about having an even border all around or do you feel the extra depth below the print is needed visually?

This part I can answer. Recently I matted and framed a 16" [40cm] square print and one 16x20" [40x50cm]. My mats were symmetrical all round, and they look fine. My framing store recommended this method, and I'm happy with it.

I'm a cabinetmaker, and doors traditionally have wider lower rails than the middle or top rails, so I understand the custom of having a larger border at the bottom. Either way would look great.

4. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Greg and Larry, I can try both.

5. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, and yes. I mount to the optical center. I hope the attachment is self-explanatory. Lines a & b half the horizontal and vertical white space.

Attached Files:

6. Dave Pritchard

Dave Pritchard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do get it, but wonder where this originated. I have not seen this geometry before. It does look "right", though.

7. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave

I have no idea about the origination, but I do have a 1938 book on print finishing, and it explains the technique without showing the geometry. The main point is to have the print just above the vertical center. If centered, the print optically 'sags' to the bottom. Most likely an optical illusion of some sort.

8. Dave Pritchard

Dave Pritchard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have heard of a "stability rule", which is used in printing, composition, and even font design. Pretty much means bottom-heavy is normal. I used to be a draftsman, so your line construction looked interesting.

9. Erik L

Erik L Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  10. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem I have is that if I position the window off centre then the top border will be smaller than the two sides. Would this matter less to you? Do you think its necessary for the top border and the two side borders to be equal to each other? It's something I'm going to have to forgo if I want my mount to remain 16x20" and have a larger space at the bottom.

11. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Typical mat for me is 12x16" paper (290x390mm image cutout) in 16x20" (400x500mm). With uniform edges, that would be 55mm per edge. I use 55mm sides, 60mm bottom and 50mm top and it looks quite balanced.

12. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not nice to have the top smaller than the sides, but vertically centered is worse. You may have to go to larger mats to avoid these issues. I mount trimmed 11x14 paper on 18x22 mats.