Tips for Ektar 120 format

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by AZLF, Jul 13, 2009.

1. AZLF

AZLF Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just ordered some 120 Ektar and am looking for to seeing how it performs. Has anyone used some 120 already and if so are there any tips that would help to maximize the qualities of the film?

TIA

2. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I shoot it only in 120; it's an awesome film. I'm on my fourth or fifth 5-pack with more in the freezer. Make sure you process it in C-41 chemistry and all will be well.

:smile:

No, seriously; I really like it a lot. I can see it becoming my low-speed mainstay. It seems more saturated than Portra VC, especially in reds and greens; and it may be a bit warmer. Not really sure, can't put my finger on it. It's just different; and different good. The grain is nearly imperceptible, and it's razor sharp. No, I'm not a shill for Kodak; but they hit a home run with Ektar.

Stephen Schaub over at Figital Revolution has tested it extensively, and says it's best shot at EI 64. I've not found this to be the case, and I'm getting plenty of shadow detail at box speed. As always, each user has to test for his/her setup.

3. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't gotten to my first 120 pack of Ektar yet (in the fridge), but I've shot two rolls in 35mm at box speed doing nothing special and it came out very nice.

4. AZLF

AZLF Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your info. There is a related thread on this film in which it is stated that there was a decided cyan tint to the sky in bright daylight not seen on overcast days. I am going to try a warming filter on a few shots to see if this helps. We have a WHOLE bunch of bright blue sky each day here in Tucson. :smile:

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take the lens cap off before you fire the shutter. :wink:

Steve

6. brianmichel

brianmichel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love shooting it metered at 64, looks pretty, nice saturation, very pleasing. The pictures will definitely 'pop' when you see them!

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is contrasty, so be careful with your metering.

It has very Crayola-like color, so choose your subjects wisely.

8. nocrop

nocrop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's a very creative and accurate description of Ektar's look! I think the reds in particular are exaggerated, but I like the look of the film myself, but then there are few films I don't like. I suppose Kodak designed it to compete with the saturated colors of much of the digital palette.