Tips on Farming out Color Developing, Scanning, Printing

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by 36cm2, Oct 20, 2011.

1. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I typically shoot, process and print B&W film on my own. I'd like to shoot some color negative (Portra 400), but am not interested in processing, printing, or going full-hybrid in-house. Please don't try to convince me otherwise. Given that, I'd love to hear your thoughts on these questions:

1) Which are your favorite mail-order labs for processing Portra 400?

(Moderators, my apologies if the following questions are too d*g*tal. If so, please remove them and I will self-flagellate with an unwound roll of Acros 120 dipped in stop bath. Given the increasing scarcity of color paper options, I'm hoping the discussion is ok.)

2) Which are your favorite labs for scanning processed film with quality levels that permit printing up to 20x24 (more likely 16x20)?

3) Which are your favorite labs for printing (quality and reasonable pricing are both important) either directly from film or from a processed scan?

I've searched for recent threads on this, but most of what I've found is older and may not reflect the current market. Thanks to all of you for looking and sorry again if you think this should be in DPUG.

Leo

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Richard Photo Lab.

Expensive but excellent.

4. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Awesome. Thank you all. I missed that thread. Very helpful as always.

Leo

6. Markster

Markster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Look around locally. You might have someplace you can just drop them off. I did this after much suffering from slow send-ins (waited 4 weeks for a single set of photos once) or bad quality (a photo dept in the local supermarket). I lucked out and found an actual processing lab locally, and so far I like them.

Not sure if you're interested but they do have a mail-in form on the web. http://www.shutterpriority.com/ ("Film & Negative services..." link on left), but I cannot vouch for the mail-in service as I drive there in person.