TLR Paralax correction

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by pschauss, Feb 16, 2007.

1. pschauss

pschauss Member

My Rolleicord Va has a mask in the viewfinder which moves down as I focus closer to compensate for the fact that the viewing lens is above the taking lens. My Yashicamat does not have a mask like this. Do any other TLRs have this feature?

2. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Rolleiflex, of course, has this.

It doesn't appear the Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex has this, however, the Proxar close-up lens sets for this camera are corrected for parallax.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Mamiya C330 has a parallax indicator in the viewfinder which indicates how the top of the image area moves down on the screen.

Matt

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am reasonably confident that at least one design (though I forget which) tilted the whole reflex box for parallax compensation.

Cheers,

R.

5. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is also a very useful tripod adaptor for it that simply moves the taking lens into the exact position that the viewfinder lens occupied during composition and focusing. This allows very close focusing without parallax issues.

David.

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think it was called a Paramender. You can of course achieve exactly the same effect, a good deal cheaper, by raising your centre column by the same amount. As far as I recall, 4 fingers at the first knuckle worked fine for me.

Cheers,

R.

7. Mike Té

Mike Té Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The paramender beats the "4-finger method", Roger, when the camera is tilted to any degree away from the axis of the centre column. It places the taking lens in the correct position no matter the spatial orientation of the camera.

Cheers.

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Absolutely true, and I stand corrected except when using a Benbo with the camera axis in line with the centre column. I was thinking of the only times I have used this technique, which is with extreme wide-angles where careful levelling is the norm.

An excellent example of how one should carefully read anyone's posts, probing for inconsistencies and unstated assumptions. Me culpa, though not necessarily maxima.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2007
  9. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From time to time I have seen Mamiya Paramenders with a marking at 45mm displacement. This is suitable for the Yashicas and similar TLRs with a 45mm lens axis separation. The Mamiya Cs are 50mm.

10. Akalai

Akalai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 1930's Voigtlander SUPERB has this feature... I think....

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want to look for something really rare, there is a Mamiya tripod head with built in paramender - mine works really well:D .

Matt

12. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't doubt you're right for general use. My wife uses a C330 for macro pictures of archaeological artefacts, where retaining the exact composition is more critical. She swears by the paramender. I just swear at it, as I have just never got the point of TLRs, but each to their own :smile:

David.

13. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Yashica TLR's also have a close-up set of lenses that are available as OEM and off-brand models. Every set that I have seen includes automatic parallax correction in the viewfinder lens...

14. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The czech Flexarets have parallax corrected closeup lenses (the Flexpars) which are really good in my experience. But, frustratingly, absolutely no parallax indication at all when shooting without the closeup lenses.

15. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only way to _correct_ parallax is to move the taking lens to the position of the viewing lens before making the picture. Tilting the camera to adjust the framing using guides, or using close-up lens sets with a prism on the viewing lens to adjust the framing does not do this. For flatish subjects this compensation works, but for subjects with depth you cannot view the relative positions of the subject components as seen by the taking lens.

I have a close-up set that lives with my Yashicamat, and it is often useful. But it does not compare to the Paramender when doing accurate table-top compositions.

16. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First model with knob wind to raise the camera for the shot.

18. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The distance on center between the taking and viewing lenses of the Mamiya TLR cameras is exactly 50 mm. I have a Paramender that I use once in a while for very close up work. Obviously, it's not very useful unless the camera is mounted on a tripod. I think the OP might have been thinking more along the lines of using the camera hand held for tightly cropped portraits. In that sort of application, you can be close enough to your subject for parallax to become an issue.