TMax 100

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by joeyk49, Mar 4, 2006.

1. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many times faster films need to be rated lower than there stated speeds. (I'm currently paying around with Delta3200 @1600.)

What about the medium speed films like TMax100 and Portra 160??? I'm most interested in the TMax as used in 4x5....Whats the collective wisdom here??

Joe

2. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    100... just develop it long enough !

3. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    100 for fully developed Tmax is good advice. I shot it regularly with loe light latensification at 200 w/o a problem. If you are using a condenser enlarger and developing less then you may orefer a speed of 64-80.

4. Anupam Basu

Anupam Basu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot it at 50, although in 35mm.

5. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like it at 100 developed in Rodinal 1:100 for 22 minutes. 3 inversions every other minute and 30 seconds initial.

6. pauldc

pauldc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 35mm, TMX for 9 minutes in Aculux2 (EI 100) at 20 degrees C is stunning - no grain and very sharp and the tonality is really nice.

7. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may have to bookmark this thread...it's interesting to see how many different ways we all handle our TMX.

8. Clueless

Clueless Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Latent image intensification via prolong green low level fogging for another f/stop is seldom heard about. Have you shared your procedures with APUG? Please consider doing so.

9. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My 2 cents worth - T-grain films rated down 1/3 stop, "conventional" b+w films down 2/3 stop, with reduction of dev time by 1/2 min. or so, all color neg films down 1 full stop (with normal processing).

10. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning, Joe,

I normally rate T-100 at approximately its box speed, for both LF and smaller sizes. T-Max developer (1:7 from the concentrate) is my usual choice, but I've also had excellent results from HC-110B. My "normal" development time is 10 minutes in T-Max 1:7.

One other thing to note is that T-100 has extremely favorable reciprocity characteristics, making it ideal for night shots. For those I favor Technidol (about 12 minutes with 10--not 8--ounces of solution from the developer packet); due to the cost of Technidol, I'm also experimenting with very dilute HC-110 and stand development for night shots, but haven't really zeroed in on time yet.

Konical

11. dphphoto

dphphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shot TMX in 4X5 at e.i. 64 and developed in HC110, dil E, 7 min at 70 degrees for normal.
    I've gone over to JandC Classic 400, at e.i. 200, largely because of price. I also like the look of this film, and I like the extra speed. Dean

12. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all!

I've got about 50 or 60 sheets left out of a box of 100 and I still haven't gotten the feel for this film. I've been shooting it @ 100, but haven't been happy with my results.

It looks like I'll stick with the box speed and work my exposures a bit more. I hesitate to bracket in 4x5 because of the cost, but it seems unavoidable given my very modest abilities...

I was pleasantly surprized to read all of the responses here. I expected one or two to say "Yea" or "Nay", but the variety of treatments has been interesting to note. Thanks, again.

13. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In a rather casual approachment to exposure and development, I expose 35mm and 4x5 T-Max 100 at an EI of about 50, and develop as Kodak recommends for EI 100 in T-Max developer. I also shoot T-Max 3200 at EI 1600 and develop as recommended for EI 3200. Perhaps this reflects an aversion to poor shadow detail.

14. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot a lot of TMX in 4x5 Readyloads. I develop in Xtol 1+2. I use an EI of 50. With this film it's much better to give more exposure and develop slightly less than standard Zone system practice. I.e. Zone I at .1 above fb+f (the standard recommendation) is too low, at least in my opinion.