Tmax 400 accidently shot at 100

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by markrewald, Oct 23, 2005.

1. markrewald

markrewald Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello!

I accidently shot a roll of Tmax 400 at 100. I use D-76 and Rodinal as my developers.

Can someone tell me some development times for D-76 for this mistake?

2. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    cut your normal d-76 time by 25% and you should be close.

3. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reduce normal development by 25 to 30% and the negs will be fine

4. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And pay attention to what you are doing next time Mark! :D

I agree that your negs will be fine with a little less development, they would be surprisingly good with normal development. By the way Mark, you should always listen to Les, if you are nice I will loan you his book some time.

Paul.

5. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually over exposing those 2 stops is not bad. You'll probably get finer grained negatives.
    Underdeveloping for 30% should work fine.

6. Terrance Hounsell

Terrance Hounsell Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You've actually only over exposed by 1 stop because TMY is really a 200 ISO anyway. You were lucky because with over exposure TMY will look good but with underexposure it is nearly useless. TMY does not suffer under exposure well. Agree with the range of percentage increase in development times given; anywhere between 0-30% will work. Personally I would go with 10-15%.

7. JeffD

JeffD Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Funny you should bring this up- I was up late last night testing TMAX400 to get my personal film speed. I actually rate TMAX 400 at 50 (!). So, in my darkroom, you'd find you have underexposing a stop!

This is based on some film tests I did to get a zone 1 exposure equal to .1 density over fb+f. I am using HC110 H dilution (twice as dilute as B), in a jobo drum on a Beseler roller.

Seems odd to rate it so low, but I don't care. I know I'll get detailed shadows. I guess I could rate it at 400, and put my shadows on zone III or IV.

If I rate at 400, and put shadows on zone II, there is not much density there on the negative to print...

TMAX 100 I rate at 32, using the above developing routine and zone 1 density target.

8. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

Mark

I'll bet these will be your best negs ever and that you will be changed always.