Tmax 400 developing

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Blooze, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Blooze

Blooze Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've found that although I really like shooting slower film in 120, I usually need a tripod to shoot anything besides very sunny scenes (shaky hands :smile: ). I went to San Antonio on a business trip last month so I grabbed three rolls of Tmax 400 to try because that's what I had access to and eliminate the need for taking a tripod. Now for the dilemma.

So far I've only used Rodinal for my Acros 100, and ID-11 for my Tri-X which both have given me decent results. Since these are the only two developers I have on hand I was wondering if someone could suggest a starting point to use one or the other with the Tmax? FWIW, all the rolls were shot at 400 and the majority of shots were in partial to full sun. I really don't want to have to keep another developer on hand, but if neither one of these will work very well then I'd entertain the thought. As a side note I will be scanning these.

Thanks in advance!

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Both developers listed will net great results. Simply refer to the massive development chart over at digitaltruth.

http://www.digitaltruth.com/

3. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take another roll and get your development figured out first if these are important photos. I think this film is the best film in the whole world, but it's "more responsive to changes in development", meaning you can screw up development easier if you don't have a proven and consistent process. Massive dev chart is a good starting point, but it's not accurate enough for every variable in developing.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Surely there has to be times for TMax 400 using ID11 and Rodinal? Certainly Ilford will list times for TMax using its own ID11 and Kodak will list times for its D76 which is practically the same stuff so same or very similar times will apply.

I'd go with Xtol for all three of your films but if you don't want to get Xtol then see paragraph above.

pentaxuser

5. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looking at the suggested times for Tmax 400 as suggested on my latest bottle of RO9 One Shot, which is rodinal by another name I get 6 minutes at 1/25 and 11 at 1/50

6. Blooze

Blooze Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    And as always, thank you folks! Your info and knowledge is a great help for us returning "newbies".

7. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My process time for T-Max 400 in D-76 stock is 8 minutes at 20 degrees C.

I don't like the 1 to 1 dilution, as it sometimes gives thin negatives.

8. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Blooze

Blooze Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks again. I just forgot I have shot one roll of Tmax 400 before :sad:. Does anyone elses's memory leak like a steel sieve? I took a roll on a trip to see a friend in OK. Here are a few of the shots. I used ID11 1:1 for 8:45 sec with initial 30 second inversions (about 10-12) then two inversions every 30 seconds (2 in about 5 seconds) for the remainder. If I remember right though the negatives were a little light and I was concerned about shadow detail. I guess I was wondering what everyone elses experience was.

There's a few more here if anyone's interested: http://www.rollinghillsimagery.com/Film/Yashica-Mat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tmax 400 is beautiful in D-76 1+1. 9 minutes, 68 degrees.

[​IMG]

11. mauro35

mauro35 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great photos there! I like TMax in ID-11/D76, although I honestly prefer the look of traditional emulsion B&W films like Tri-X. I have developed a couple of rolls of TMax400 in Rodinal too and didn't like it at all. It has a very harsh look.

12. Blooze

Blooze Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Chris. I was having a little trouble getting my Tri-X developing exactly where I wanted it and when I followed your dev times/procedure for D76 everything fell into place. I looked there for Tmax 400, but wasn't sure if there would be much difference in development time between EI320 and EI400 since it's only 1/3 stop.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  13. tal bedrack

tal bedrack Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    just make sure you don't agitate much. Tmax's highlights are DELICATE.

14. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When processed to normal contrast, the film's real speed in D-76 1+1 is 320. Extending the developing to get to 400 will give too much contrast. That said, its a 1/3 stop difference. most will say you won't notice if you shoot at 400 and use the 320 developing time. I do, but I am very picky.

15. selmslie

selmslie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although I prefer Xtol (replenished), Rodinal 1+50 works nicely with TMX 120. Rodinal may be a little sharper and does not seem to emphasize grain clumping excessively. This is a shot I got while testing Rodinal 1+50, 7:10 @ 76F.

Attached Files:

16. Blooze

Blooze Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I did the first two out of three rolls this afternoon using ID-11 (1+1) for 9@68F. They look pretty decent to me. I timed things a little different than I did on my first roll earlier this summer. Started the timer right as I started to pour the developer, then poured it out with 10 seconds left so the stop went in at the zero mark. I also started with the ID-11 at 67F. I've found that it seems to gain about 1F during the developing, so I figured it would average out. I think my problem with that first roll was I was most likely developing for closer to 9:30 sec with the temp going from 68F to 69F. Don't know, maybe that was the issue? I did about 15 inversions to start with that were moderately quick, but then was pretty gently with the two inversions every 30 sec after that. I guess I'll see tomorrow or Sunday when I try scanning them.

Thanks again everyone!

17. Blooze

Blooze Member

Shooter:
    35mm