Tmax 400 scratches, scratched from Kodak?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Skorzen, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So I developed the first roll I put through my new Rolleiflex 2.8C and I had a scratch (actually two close parallel scratches) running almost the complete length of the roll. I went all through the camera and could not find anyway that the camera could have put a scratch there and similarly for the film reel used. So I shot another roll with the same equipment and there are no scratches. So now my question is were the scratches there when I bought the film? My first thought was that maybe they had a bad lot but the second roll was from the same 5 roll pack...

So was it scratched when I bought it and if so is it possible or worth it to get a replacement from Kodak?

Here is a sample

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Those scratches are most likely produced in the camera. All similar ones that I have ever seen were produced in that manner.

3. Skorzen

Skorzen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That was my first thought as well, but I really cannot find anything anywhere that could cause those scratches and I went over it pretty throughly. My only other thought with it being in camera is that maybe a piece of grit got in there and came out (next roll was fine) but I can't see that that would create such an even mark across 10 frames. I'm not saying that it wasn't the camera but I really don't see how it could have. For some of the length of the scratch it was visible on the backing paper (the side facing the film) so it took a bit of force to do that.

4. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To be honest, I doubt it was scratched from the factory if the second roll in the 5 pack was good. It is odd that the scratch went all the way through to the backing paper, though. Do you remember having to wind a little harder at all for the first frame or 2? Maybe the grit got embedded in there somehow? Wierd. My best guess is like you said, a piece of "grit" or a spec of sand, etc...was on the film back or worked it's way there. It is always a pity when this happends...makes me paranoid for about 3 rolls aftward, and then I forget about it for a year until I get a scratched roll again...then I clean out the camera with a fine tooth comb...again :smile:
    All the best,
    Jed

5. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those are clear scratches. Normal scratches remove the emulsion and leave black streaks on the film due to lack of silver. These are clear indicating that there is more development in lines.

Am I correct that the lines on the film are dark?

PE

6. Skorzen

Skorzen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes they do appear dark on the film, here is a closeup on the scratch:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. mikepry

mikepry Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome to the world of "Let's find where the scratch came from" game!! I had some that drove me absolutely batty in my Leica lllc. The culprit ..... pressure plate. The remedy ....... If you can remove the pressure plate, that is desirable. Then, here is a trick I learned from a Leica "Finemechanik" - Get some rubbing compound like the kind you use on cars or a jewlers rouge and rub the bejeebies out of it. Then, rub the snot out of it with a chamois. Should fix it. He told me once he had a M7 that had no visible marks on the pressure plate with a high magnification loupe but after this treatment it solved the problem. Good luck.

Mike

8. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably not Kodak's fault. I've been a Kodak user for 29 years and I've never had a scratch, bubble, crease, dent, blister or any defect on any roll from them. It could happen, but not likely. The fault is probably in the camera. You may have gotten rid of the culprit when you opend the back to load the 2nd roll. These things happen.

9. Skorzen

Skorzen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Good to hear, part of why I asked was to see if anyone else had run into an issue with the film itself and it doesn't sound like it. I'll feel better shooting the remaining rolls now.

10. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well guys, in general, a DARK line on film is not a scratch, it is something else, usually a pressure line or a chemical mark. A LIGHT line is a scratch!

So, my diagnosis is that this is not a scratch by something removing emulsion from the negative.

However, the line on the left does have dark outriders. But then again it has light outriders. This is very unusual. I would suggest something has caused pressure sensitization and has also scratched the film enough to cause dark and light marks. This may have happened most anywhere.

I have also noticed what appears to be a regular micro reticulation pattern in the enlarged image. Does anyone else have any comments on this or the comment about scratches?

BTW, it is hard to say if this could be caused by EK. Sometimes film groups come in-line and sometimes side-by-side. If it was in-line, then all packages in a group would have the scratch, but if it was side-by-side, then each roll would have avoided the problem except those in-line in the next group.

PE

11. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That has to be one of the strangest things I've ever seen. One line has 'outriders', but the other one doesn't.

It certainly can't hurt to send it to Kodak, if only to see if they have any clues. Certainly, if it was a widespread problem, the will surely have heard about it by now.

Ed

12. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PE said, "Well guys, in general, a DARK line on film is not a scratch, it is something else, usually a pressure line or a chemical mark. A LIGHT line is a scratch!

That reminded me, when I bought a used Bronica ETR back ( BTW in MINT cond.) it did this . I was a pressure mark from one of the small rollers in the insert. There was a TINY rough spot and it would leave a black line running the length of the film. Some very fine sandpaper did the trick and now all is well. This back came form a very reputable dealer; many strange things can happen.

This may be your problem?