Today I fell in Love :-D

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ian Grant, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good job the wife just left to work abroad for 2 weeks.

more seriously I was in Greece earleir to day (as you do) and saw the most wonderful, graceful, delicate and desirable . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . English Triple Extension Whole-plate Camera, in the window of a 1 hr photo-shop/studio, so I stopped, looked, drooled, and entually back. Unfortunately it's not for sale !!!

The shop is run by a family who have been involved in professional photography for 3 or 4 generations, they run with the times the studio is digital, but they respect film.

When the lens (fitted to a Thornton Pickard shutter) was shown, I instantly said that's a Cooke, before looking closely, the quality of the brass finish and aura just said so, and it was very indistinct in the window :smile:.

Unfortunately the shop became busy so talking further wasn't a practical or fair option. However later in the afternoon during the long siesta a man stopped me and grasped my Yashicamat, saying please let me look, and we talked Rolleiflex's, Linhofs etc, he turned out to be another of the shops owners, he waxed lyrical about Ilford films.

I don't want their camera, but once funds allow will llook for something similar, and I will try and make further contact with the owners of the camera, but I need to show my true credentials and at least have a wood & brass camera with me :D

Ian

2. calceman

calceman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Great, just give the address and I'll pick it up tomorrow!
    :wink:

3. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I know your feeling, Ian !

I have 2 full plate camera's to restore for my self in the next few month, one has a Cooke lens on it.

And tomorrow I will pick up some brazilian hard wood for one (or more) 4x5" field camera's that will be "brass-ed".

Life can be so beautifull when you are in love.......................

Peter

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter, I have two of the finest US made 10x8 ever built, and they are superb, Ansel Adams & Brett Weston used the same,but compared to a British camera they are heavy and cumbersome :D

I just really want those Cooke lenses :D

Ian

5. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All over Greece you will find old cameras, quite often large format wooden boxes with a brass lens and most often without bellows at various states of condition. They are as you have found out not for sale as probably the owners have a certain sentimental attachment to them or they are seen as impressive window props.
    I find it very sad and hope that somebody I will be able to persuade some to let them go and be put to work again in the hands of a another photographer. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of masterpieces gather dust and mold in attics and closets as every family has kept their "obsolete" film cameras as family heirlooms.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian,

The GAS is rising! Your are powerless to stop it. You cannot resist the Force!

Steve

7. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Well, there is one thing that I Found it goes well for treating GAS.
    Having no budget! :D
    It's a bit painful, but it works.
    I have enough for a rolleiflex, but, I haven't gotten everything from the OM to upgrade, and if I did. I couldn't buy film! :D

8. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    oh, the pain....! I feel your pain Ian.

I fell in love a while back....didn't have the money, waited...saved....rationalized...and finally bought (8x10 Deardorff) and now, I have to suffer while it travels across this broad continent....:tongue:

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That never stop my GAS. I purchase it anyway. Ahhh ... the advantage of not having a higher power!

10. jasonhall

jasonhall Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I to have found that to be a very effective method of controling GAS. Infact I have found it to work so well that it can reverse the past effects of GAS. I have now rid my self of one very minty Yashica A, and a rather nice Mamiya C330 "Pro" with a couple of lens. Yep, works like a charm :rolleyes:.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  11. Denis K

Denis K Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The secret to a life of fulfillment is as follows:

Learn to admire without desire.

Denis K

12. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So your wife isn't gone a day and your woundering eye finds a new beauty to occupy your affections.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've admitted my infidelity to her :D

She knows the shop, but the camera wasn't there in the window the last times we passed :smile:

I will be back in contact with the owners, they are are a really genuine & nice family :smile: I may turn up with some Ilford food for their camera :D

As Ari knows getting analog materials in Greece is difficult outside the larger cities, (it's the same in Turkey) I know the shop in question has big problems trying to get film from the importers.

Ian

14. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Siriusly", is GAS a character defect or just a shortcoming?

15. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it's an addiction :D

But being slightly more serious, the Cooke lens I'd really lust after is worth it, i MUST eventually have one even if just for a week :smile:

Ian

16. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ..or what makes us so damn' loveable? :D :D

17. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is neither a character defect nor a shortcoming; it is a compulsion.

Steve

18. RPippin

RPippin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad you straightened that out for me. My recent compulsion paired me up with a beautiful Chamonix 4X5. Compulsions I can live with, if they are of the right kind. Keeps me out of trouble.