Today I looked through a $500 book...

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Nicole, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today I looked through a large limited edition $500 photography book with a signed original inkjet print by the photographer (who's name I can't recall right now), loosely placed in the inside the front cover. First I was surprised a book would cost $500 - but I got excited when the bookkeeper told me there was an original, signed B&W print in it. When I opened the book I discovered the (although lovely) B&W print was an inkjet print (with the possibility of possibility of hitting the reprint button many times over), sold in such an expensive book. The book did show beautiful work.

Would you pay that much for a book?

2. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Nicole,
    depends on the photographer!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  3. Ralf

Ralf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's signed, it's a limited edition book — they can ask whatever the market is willing to pay. Personally, I would not be interested in it because of the inkjet print, but that's only my personal opinion.

4. mono

mono Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one LE from Josef Hoflehner and was disappointed, too, because it also contained an inkjet print.

I have two more LE from him with original, signed silver gelatine prints and am satisfied now ;-)

5. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the print was an original as in hand printed in any form except by an automatic printer, then I'd consider it.

6. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have spent what is probably a frightening amount on photo books, mostly secondhand or remaindered - the most I spent on an individual book was IIRC US$350 for a copy of "Mirrors Messages Manifestations" by Minor White - worth every cent. At the time, this was one of a very few new copies left. Aperture were offering the same book but with an 8x10" bromide by Minor White included for around U$800 - I did not consider this excessive but decided against buying it, thinking I would rather have 5 $100 books than one print. My biggest regret - buying only one copy of David Bailey's "Goodbye Baby and Amen" when I saw them remaindered for £3.50 - now selling for 20 times that, or indeed anything up to $500!

PS: Another one I didn't buy - Helmut Newton's "Sumo", yours for only just over $18,000 - see here:
    http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.asp?isbn=3822863947
    I wonder how many have been sold?

7. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not an ice cube's chance in hell!

8. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would not pay this much for a book especially these days with Internet shopping and used books at our finger tips. My daughter purchased a Robert Mapplethorpe book for me for Christmas for $15 in a used book store. It’s a $60 book in perfect condition and out of print. With regard to the Inkjet print, if it’s a strong image that evokes some emotion or feeling I don’t really care how it’s printed. BTW I have a huge photography book collection.

Cheers,
    Bill

9. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the book inspired me enough I'd pay any reasonable price, $500 seems to me to be good value. I learned the lesson 20 years ago when I wanted Harry Callahan's "Cape Cod" and located a copy for $1500 but refused on the grounds that it was too expensive. I've regretted that decision many times since then.

I think $500 for a book with an original print is not expensive even though the print is inkjet. Theses days I've seen inkjet prints made with pigment inks on high quality paper sell for up to £500.

My own book collection currently valued at about £20,000 is a constant source of inspiration and information to me so I think it's money well spent.

10. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Photo book prices seem to be sky rocketing no matter who the book is by or whether or not there is a print included. Have a look at photoeye.com and their book list magazine. The current issue shows some very limited editions that reach as high as $50,000.

11. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If I wanted a particular book bad enough, I'd pay what the market price was. It's a shame about the inkjet print, but I would be paying for the book anyway. If it had a real print made by the photographer, so much the better.

My judgement on such a print would also be considered according to the photographer. If the photographer made inkjet prints as a matter of course, and that was the medium they worked with, I would consider it differently than if they worked say in silver gelatin, but the print in the book was an inkjet. In the latter case, it would feel more to me like a lazy cheap shortcut to add some value. Some may howl all they want, but inkjet printing is basically a time and labor saving shortcut. That's not to say making a good output file is easy, by any means, but in the end, it is what it is, a print produced completely by a machine. (I tried making them too, but I quit, because it holds no satisfaction for me.)

In all cases I am happier with non-inkjets. I have a Brooks Jenson print that I quite like, but I really wish it were silver. Up on the wall next to my other prints I can tell the difference, and knowing anybody with access to the file could produce exactly the same inkjet print sort of keeps my affection for it at a distance. I feel like it is a very good copy of an image, but a copy nontheless. Thats just how I feel, and somebody may point out that it is illogical. Maybe so, but that is still the way I feel.

12. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Never. I can get alot of film, paper and unsigned 2nd editions for $500.

13. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had the good fortune to pick up a few photo books at cover price or even on sale that have appreciated startlingly. I'm very glad to have them, not only because of their appreciated value, but because they're beautiful books with beautiful images. Given what I'd have to pay for a single original print by some artists whose books I've collected, $500 for a book with an original print, inkjet or not, is a good bargain.

14. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it was a book I really wanted, limited print run and well produced I would certainly pay that amount, if it came with an original print so much the better. However an inkjet print would have no real interest to me.

The most I've paid for a photographic book so far is about 250 US$, 'What We Bought: The New World' by Robert Adams.

15. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not with an ink jet print. A silver print, possibly.

16. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    books

Check out http://5b4.blogspot.com/ if you like photobooks.

Give wallet to significant other first though.

And buy more bookshelves.

Best,

Will

17. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would not buy the book. If I were an investor, yeah sure. I'm not. I collect photography books for the value of what's between the pages, not for what somebody else is willing pay for them. I have quite a few books that would now be worth many times what I paid for them if I were willing to put them in plastic wrap and never open them again but that's not why I bought them.

As for the print, an inkjet wouldn't matter much to me. Signed, it might potentially increase in value over time but, again, that's not a priority to me.

18. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It certainly is interesting to read your input, thank you. I have to admit to spending a bit on an excellent book "Studio Portraits" by an Australian Photographer Peter Brew-Bevan. I'm not much into studio work but this book is interesting.