Toner question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Todd Barlow, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Todd Barlow

Todd Barlow Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am new to using toner for image permance. I have read about using a dilution of Kodak Rapid Selenium cut with Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent. What about cutting it with Heico Perma Wash instead?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

2. Mateo

Mateo Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The wash aid stuff has Sodium Sulfite in it that does go bad. If you just dilute it with water you can keep using it for a long time. I could be wrong and I'm sure there's allot of people here that know more about this, but I would keep the baths seperate.

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mateo is right. Dilute the toner with water only.

4. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    toner

The boys are correct-keep the two trays separate. I also put a half cap of Kodalk into the selenium to increase uptake.
    Regards Peter

5. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Hypo Clear

I seem to remember reading in Tim Rudman's Toning Book that current thinking is that mixing Selenium toner and Hypo clear may do an archival disservice

6. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Todd, what you read WAS popular at one time. Current thinking is keep them seperate, so make it up with water (it will keep forever, just top it off when it stops working).

7. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just don't get thrown by the directions on the bottle. Kodak still suggest using HCA .
    They (Kodak) haven't kept up with the times, still stuck in the 70's.:rolleyes:

8. Max

Max Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Actually, this is still being taught too - I'm currently taking a printing class at a local "arts" college, and the toner was mixed with perma-wash. I didn't think anything of it, since that's what I'd always read too (although in The Negative, Adams mentions how the Kodak folks told him he didn't need to do it anymore, but he still did).

Glad to see this thread!

9. Todd Barlow

Todd Barlow Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all of you for your help.

Todd

10. Louis Nargi

Louis Nargi Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Remember to fix in sodium thiosulfate for two minuts first.

11. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a great testamonial for the logevity of the printed word, or at least the contuing effect of large print runs for labels. :wink:

12. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This was Kodak's response to my question about Alkaline fixer then using Se toner diluted only with water: "This toner does contain ammonium thiosulfate. When
    using the 1:20 dilution of this toner with out using Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent, we recommend washing the print completely between the fixer and
    the toner, then doing a complete wash after toning."
    However, I only soak print for a few minute than right into the Se toner diluted only in water. Henceforth, I will use hypo-clear bath before putting print into washer.