Tonight: photojournalism documentary

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Joachim_I, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Joachim_I

Joachim_I Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    SBS ONE shows tonight at 9:30pm a one-hour documentary about Australian photojournalist Philip Blenkinsop. Title: My Asian Heart. From the previews, it looks like he is shooting film with Leica rangefinder cameras. Looks promising.

2. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My daughter worked at News Ltd with Mr Blenkinsop. From her:

<<Yes, I know Phil well. When he first started at News Ltd the old blokes in the photo department used to give him an extremely hard time. He was really young, and quite eccentric already, and way too "arty farty" for their tastes. And we cadets loved him, for the very same reasons. He's a serious not-so-young-any-more insect who's done a lot of important stuff, and he's risked his life many, many times. I'm a big fan of his. Unlike Stephen Dupont, who's managed to turn self-spin and self-promotion into an art form. Dupont is all about himself, though he pretends otherwise. Phil's a true journo. Crazy, but really, really good. >>

3. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ross, I think your daughter's assessment is spot on.

Very good documentary.

Joachim, thanks for the reminder, I had marked it but had forgotten about it.

Mick.

4. andrewkirkby

andrewkirkby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That was quite inspiring.

I was particularly touched when he was talking about his experiences with the Hmong people in Laos.

Thanks for the heads up, Joachim.

5. Joachim_I

Joachim_I Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Philip Blenkinsop is a brave man. The most stunning scene for me was the one in which he confronted the Nepalese soldiers (who just brutally beat up some young boys) and asked them if they have children themselves. For a moment, he obviously managed to make them feel responsible for their actions. They might have decided as well to beat him up too. Respect.

I find it very interesting that he decided to stay with film. One should think that digital offers some convenience is such a job. I guess he just prefers the results on film.

6. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I missed this. Did anyone make a copy they'd like to share?

7. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I missed half of it, but the half I saw, wow! Those images that he was setting up for the exhibition, very nicely done.

not so sure about the air dried dogs though.....

8. 6x9

6x9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Don't knock it until you've tried it.

9. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dang, and I'm actually staying somewhere with a telly at the moment! I read up a little about the doco and it sounds like it would have been great. I'll second Michael... if anyone made a copy, I'd love to see it.

10. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tonight or yesterday night? I am confused...

11. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Relative to the OP, Tonight is yesterday night, which tomorrow will be two nights ago.... or to avoid most confusion, it was shown on the 8th of August.

12. neilpcraven

neilpcraven Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can watch it (for a limited time, I expect) on the SBS website: http://www.sbs.com.au/
    Click on "watch full episodes" and it should open a new window - at the moment it's top of the list. I'll be watching it tonight!

(might only work from within Australia, unless you can do some clever IP spoofing)

13. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

How...eloquent. In simple terms, I have missed it.
    Will shuffle over to SBS on the web and see what I can sees...

14. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you won't be disappointed. I know I will check out the half an hour I missed (internet connection permitting)

15. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just watched it tonight on the SBS web site. Very moving, and it makes me realise why I could never work as a PJ in the way and in the places he does because I would be forever soiling my pants (figuratively speaking). Fascinating in that quick turnaround business that he still works in film and exclusively in black and white, in spite of its obvious inconveniences. Although there was a gratuitous plug for Leica at the start "Leica, of course..." I noticed, particularly towards the latter half, that he appears to be working in MF also. At one point when he is setting up his exhibition in China there is a quite clear shot of him using a Mamiya 6, and some not so obvious ones later.