Toning Blacks

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by schrochem, Sep 15, 2012.

1. schrochem

schrochem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had some lith prints that I made through a two bath development and the developers weren't very conventional. The blacks weren't quite what I wanted and the just weren't going to develop out.
    I tried selenium 1:10 but it didn't deepen the blacks. Is it the only toner that starts in blacks and works its way to mids and highlights?
    Also, if I couldn't get it in development does that mean selenium (or other toner) has nothing to work with?
    Thanks!

2. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Scott, its possible that a bleach and redevelopment might save it. If you have Tim Rudman's book, there is some data there.

3. schrochem

schrochem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Andrew. yea I need to get all his stuff.....
    Are you saying to redevelop in selenium? I'm working in general here to find a certain look.
    I have tried bleach and redeveloping with lith developer but didn't seem to do what I wanted (on the two I tried). However, I might try it again on my latest crop ;-)
    Thanks

4. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm saying bleach and redevelop with regular lith developer.

5. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Andrew is correct, but the best bet is to start over with a more conventional developer or a different paper. Start learning lith be sticking to things that others have shown to work then branch out. It is hard to know whether it is your technique or your experiments otherwise.