Toning by Colour Development - Toning by Colour Development

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  2. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you very much Ian.
    Any ideas where folk might obtain the couplers these days?
    I've drawn a blank so far ...

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got my colour couplers through Scientific & Chemical Supplies in Wolverhampton but they probably got them Koch-Light, I had an account with both companies.

This page may be of interest,
    I'll add the details from it (I supplied all the information) I scanned and generated the PDF file.

Ian

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very interesting, Ian. Thanks for posting this.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try having a look at Bob Carlos Clarkes images particularly the book/exhibition Dark Summer, he used an arsenal of toning techniques including dye couplers. He most likely used the Tetenal colour coupler kit, his work was printed on Agfa paper, they sponsored him and used his images for their advertising.

Ian

7. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I looked for these couplers on Sigma Aldrich's web page, and their price varies a lot: 68 Euros for 100g of magenta coupler (CAS 555-21-5), 65.5 Euros per 25 milligrams of yellow (CAS 2044-72-6), and over 200 Euros for 25 grams of blue-green (CAS 2050-76-2). Can you confirm that these are the compounds called for, and if that is indeed the case, what you paid for yellow?

Also, do you have any info on how long term stable these dyes are?

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's around 25 years possibly longer, since I last bought colour couplers so I've no idea now what I paid for them. There are/were alternative couplers particularly for yellow, somewhere (in storage) I have my notes from when I was doing the research into toners with the alternatives listed. It's worth checking the colour couplers used in Kodachrome processing as these would have been made in larger quantities, prices for older couplers may be high as there's almost no demand/production.

You'd need to cross-check the MSDS or other data-sheets to check the alternative names for these compounds.

Stability of any colour coupled dye is partially dependent on storage and exposure to light but a dye-coupler toned print should last as well as a colour print under similar conditions.

Ian

9. Jim Taylor

Jim Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow!

This is just the thing I've been looking to get my teeth into!
    Now, to find the couplers....

1. Raid every dark, musty store cupboard at work! :whistling:
    2. Hope for the best! :wink:

10. falotico

falotico Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Principles of Color Photography, Evans, Hanson, Brewer, edition 1953 on page 261 lists the following dye couplers as suitable for Kodachrome:

cyan
    2,4-dichloro-1-naphthol

magenta
    p-nitrobenzyl-cyanide

yellow
    naphthoylacetanilide

Text talks of p-phenylenediamine developers.

Friedman's "The History of Color Photography" has a good discussion concerning the effect of substituting couplers or developers. See Chapter 23, Color Coupling Development.

11. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One strong argument I keep reading against cross processing C41/E6 films is that the color developer uses the wrong compound (CD-4 vs. CD-3), and that this creates dyes of unknown stability. This tells me you can't just use some PPD variant with some dye coupler and expect stable results.

Back in the days when these formulas were created, there was, amongst color processes, a huge spread in archival quality, from Kodachrome/Ilfochrome all the way down to that paper my 25 year old photos were printed on. It would be interesting to find out where on this scale these special dyes described in that article are.